Chernobyl

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Chernobyl

Post by bonzo »

Seen the vodka on BBC breakfast this morning, think it would fair give you a glow :D
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

All hands to the pumps ! Just watched the first episode- its looking good- now going back for more. Thanks, Meg :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm All hands to the pumps ! Just watched the first episode- its looking good- now going back for more. Thanks, Meg :D
Brian - I will watch it again - it is compulsive. Hope you enjoy :wink:

Meg
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

:D
Meg wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:40 pm
brian f wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:17 pm All hands to the pumps ! Just watched the first episode- its looking good- now going back for more. Thanks, Meg :D
Brian - I will watch it again - it is compulsive. Hope you enjoy :wink:

Meg
Meg, As i am not the brightest spark in the world, i always find nuclear power and all that stuff hard to work out , but i got round to it and watched it all in one go last night, loved it thanks again. :D

Ps- i got a 7 day free trial on NOW tv and could watch it through my samsung telly.HTNTBO was confined to the smaller telly in the bedroom //funny
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Meg, As i am not the brightest spark in the world, i always find nuclear power and all that stuff hard to work out , but i got round to it and watched it all in one go last night, loved it thanks again. :D

Ps- i got a 7 day free trial on NOW tv and could watch it through my samsung telly.HTNTBO was confined to the smaller telly in the bedroom //funny
What is really scary is just how little they told the rest of the world about the ‘incident’ and how close we were to the other reactors going up too. Poor wife - obviously not being obeyed correctly - you’ll pay for that //funny
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes , Meg, Plenty of talking points about the series... The gentleman with the port-wine stain (birthmark) would probably not want the World to know about the explosion as this would have been a sign of weakness, but the Yanks new something as they had satellite images. How brave the three men who volunteered to go in and turn on the valves to empty the water tanks to prevent a thermal explosion, i think i read at the end 2 are still alive today.I better not say any more in case some members are still to watch it .

The poor wife you mention had her turn to watch the big telly the next night-Her choice was Bohemian Rhapsody after the film ended she said she felt sorry for Freddie. I might watch it during the weekend as i was a big fan of Queen but never seen them live.Now the big question is was Freddie the best Showman of all time ? from what i seen on Live Aid , he was though the older generation would suggest the King . :think:

OOPS- I have strayed off-topic. //silent
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Saw the final episode last night. Rivveting stuff but I dont really want to see it again. The first night I couldn't sleep after watching it!. So traumatic, but very well done. As I don't have SKY I had to wait till now to see it as it was being shown on National TV,and I was determined not to miss it. I remember when I was a child watching Quatermass, a TV serial that lasted a few weeks and that scared the wits out of me too. Can,t remember the exact story as it is about 60 years ago now but know it caused me a few sleepless nights. :(
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Jean, I remember Quatermass too - it was a 1979 tv mini series. IMDB had this as a description -

In the near future, civilization has broken down to the barest fragment of recognizable life. Young people are forming gangs and dominating the wrecks of cities like London. But the strangest Earth children are the "Planet People", following plumb-bobs to sacred sites, waiting to be "taken up". Professor Quatermass (Sir John Mills), seeking his granddaughter, teams up with Joe Kapp (Simon MacCorkindale), who is trying to analyze strange signals from space using the last working pieces of electronic equipment. They find the "Planet People" at a nearby stone circle, a light appears, the signal appears, and the hippy children are gone. Russian plot? Nirvana? Or something altogether more sinister?
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I saw the originals Meg, in 1959 it was 'The Quatermass experiment' then 'The Quatermass Project' in 1960. All scienze fiction, 6 part series. Scared the life out of me. Didn't see the 1979 version,Quatermass - the earth explodes.
Chernobyl seems to bring back memories of that series.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Of course it was earlier Jean - now I remember my brother Ian was still living at home - all I remember was it was scary😂. Doomwatch was another scary TV series.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

If you were hooked to Sky Atlantic series, Chernobyl, which aired back in 2019, good news. Channel 5 is releasing a brand new documentary, fronted by Ben Fogle, which delves into the disaster.

Ben Fogle: Inside Chernobyl, follows the presenter and adventurer as he spends a week living inside the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone, 35 years on from the shocking nuclear accident.

Not a great fan of Fogle.. But I will be watching next Wednesday night.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

That documentary is on tonight (Monday) in Australia. Channel 7 at 7.30 in the eastern states. Wife has it marked for to watch, but I'll miss it.