What's the latest movie you've seen?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

What's the latest movie you've seen?

Post by Hughie »

A Walk Among the Tombstones - Saw this today and we both enjoyed it. We like Liam Neeson.

Fans of the hardboiled detective, rejoice. Screenwriter-director Scott Frank and actor Liam Neeson, adapting the splendid work of crime novelist Lawrence Block, have brought a great one to the screen in high, bracing style. “A Walk Among The Tombstones” not only does justice to one of Block’s most soulful creations, ex-cop and recovering alcoholic turned very unlicensed private dick (“I do favors for people, and they give me gifts,” is how he puts it) Matthew Scudder, it stages, single-handed, a bracing revival of a kind of genre movie that many of us have been mourning. That is, a crime drama that isn’t all bang-bang and chop-chop. More
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's the latest movie you've seen?

Post by morag »

Last I saw in a 'movie theatre' was Johnny Depp's Alice in Wonderland, it was entertaining, well done. The theatre itself was great, roomy seats food and drink available, kind of like a small, private bistro with a great big tv! Other than that the occasional tv movie..saw one with a very young Terrence Stamp, Samantha Egger - very strange.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Morag, was it The Collector, all about a weird guy who collected butterflies? Long time ago but I think i went to the Regal to see that.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

That was it Meg. He was a poor kid who won a fortune, bought an old house and kept Samantha as a prisoner. He was a very striking looking young man. Think back then it was him and maybe David Hemmings the lassies had a crush on.
It ended rather creepily..I'll not say in case anyone fancies watching it. 8)
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Loved David Hemmings, he was the star of a film I went to see again in the Regal called Blow Up again about the same time as the Collector. Weird but watchable!

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Terence Stamp, Hemmings, Caine, McShane..not a bad way to spend an evening..
C.S.Lewis
rabr
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rabr »

If you want a right good film go and see GONE GIRL , what a cracking film so sinister 5*****
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Rabr. Great to see you posting. :)

I enjoyed the movie, 'Gone Girl'. Though I'd have hoped for a different ending. I'd heard the book was a best seller so perhaps others might consider the book first.
On the day of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Affleck) returns home to find that his wife Amy (Pike) is missing. Her disappearance creates a media frenzy, and Nick's awkward behavior is interpreted as characteristic of a sociopath, implicating him in her disappearance.

In the years before, Nick and Amy's marriage had disintegrated; both lost their jobs in the recession and moved from New York City to Missouri when Nick's mother was diagnosed with cancer. Nick has become lazy, distant, and unfaithful.

Detective Rhonda Boney (Dickens) finds that Nick knows surprisingly little about his wife, including that she is pregnant. She also uncovers evidence indicating financial troubles and domestic disputes, a report indicating Amy wanted to purchase a gun, and poorly concealed evidence of a struggle. Nick becomes the prime suspect.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Hughie, I always prefer to read the book first. It's interesting to see how ones perceptions of the characters differ from or are like the screen version. If I see the movie first I have a hard time not seeing the actors in ma heid..
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

rabr wrote:If you want a right good film go and see GONE GIRL , what a cracking film so sinister 5*****

Hi rabr, great to see you posting, I know you've been lurking for a while :D

Meg
rabr
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rabr »

Hi there Meg , hughie, yes been lurking for ages , I love this whole site , congratulations to all, you deserve it.
Hughie ,you are right ,book is always better. You are right a bit of a strange ending but what a good film .
Thankyou for the WARM welcome. Xx
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Off to see it tomorrow, next one I want to see is Pride, like the feel of that one you can't beat the English movies .