What's the latest movie you've seen?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What's the latest movie you've seen?

Post by Meg »

Just watched Back to the Future - again. Nothing new there except it was a drive-in movie in Rozelle Ayr. Iris Theatre organised 6 movies over the weekend, and it was a really fun experience. We took a picnic but there was lots of concession stands offering everything from coffee to curry. Last time I was at a drive in was in the US around 1965. And it was SAFE!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Sounds good Meg, never been to a drive in. Maybe something to do with not having a car license :think:

We watched the Railwayman last night, true story about a man living with having been a Japanese prisoner of war, quite a hard watch.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 pm Sounds good Meg, never been to a drive in. Maybe something to do with not having a car license :think:

We watched the Railwayman last night, true story about a man living with having been a Japanese prisoner of war, quite a hard watch.
brian f wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:26 pm Eric Lomax originally from Edinburgh,was captured by the Japanese during the fall of Singapore in 1942.

He became one of the thousands of servicemen used as slave labour to build the railway.

The Railwayman film,starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman will be on at the pictures shortly.

It is based on Mr Lomaxs book of the same name, published in 1995,which describes his experience before, during,and after World War 2.

It tells Eric incredible and moving story with grace, modesty and exceptional humility.All characteristics Eric had as a man.

It is a book that stands as a testament to the great capacity of the human spirit for forgiveness.

Mr Lomax was a signals officer who was captured with many other Allies in Singapore and held at the Islands Changi jail before eventually being taken to the Thai town of Kanchanaburi, where he worked on the Railway link to Burma.

The horrific conditions of the prisoners as they built the line,with a terrible loss of life,famously formed the basis of David Leans 1957 film The Bridge On The River kwai.
The Book was an excellent read bonzo
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Cheers Brian, not much of a reader but enjoyed the film if enjoyed is the right word.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:03 pm Sounds good Meg, never been to a drive in. Maybe something to do with not having a car license :think:

You would have got a bit wet yesterday without a car :lol:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Hughie wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:59 am Really enjoyed Chuck Berry's "Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll" the movie last night on NITV - National Indigenous Television here in Oz - Channel 34. Here's the trailer:
If you watch it again the real star is Keith Richards,
Chuck does everything he can to screw the band up, stops playing upsets the timing a whole gamut of stuff, but Keith holds the band together..I always like Richards but until I saw that film I never knew how good he was
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

What band was that? JD.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

the backing band was
Chuck Berry – vocals, electric guitar
Keith Richards – electric guitar, backing vocals
Johnnie Johnson – piano*
Chuck Leavell – organ
Joey Spampinato – bass guitar, backing vocals
Steve Jordan – drums, backing vocals
Bobby Keys – tenor saxophone
Ingrid Berry – backing vocals
Eric Clapton, Robert Cray – electric guitar, vocals
Etta James, Julian Lennon, Linda Ronstadt – vocals

I admit I could name all off the top of my head, there were other folk featured
when Chuck introduced Julian Lennon it's cringe making IMO
*Johnnie B Goode (song) is supposed to be about Johnnie Johnson, who wrote some of Berry's lyrics, Berry and Johnson fell out (after about 30 years when Johnson sued Berry over royalties...........I can't remember if that's the film where Berry has a load of Cadillacs just laying about because he didn't want to pay taxes
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

Just watched A Hard Days Night on BBC2 last night.Took me back 55yrs sitting in the Countess to see it.The story is rubbish but the music was something else,which will probably never be repeated.The only complaint was the ridiculous time of night (or morning 0015)it was aired.If it was on again in the near future I would watch it again.Gone to put the C.D.on.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The Comey Rules
Jeff Daniels as the 6foot 9 FBI Director ......Jim Comey
Brendan Gleeson as Trump
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

stivis wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:57 pm The Comey Rules
Jeff Daniels as the 6foot 9 FBI Director ......Jim Comey
Brendan Gleeson as Trump
Just watched this over the weekend - OMG it was fabulous. Gleason is amazing as Trump! Did you enjoy it Stivis? I want to read his book now.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I deliberately didn't comment,
I have a very low opinion of Trump, It went lower still, one can only imagine just how much lower it really is,
Once Trump see it Brendan Gleeson will be heading to Gitmo( Guantanamo Bay detention camp)
Clinton (Maw) doesn't come out favourably , but then Trump's stuff was 20 odd years after Whitewater
One of the character called Trump a psychopath.
The character was wrong he's more of a sociopathic ,psychopathic pervert
How much did Comey hold back as insurance ?
I actually watched 25 minutes of the first part and deleted it as I couldn't be bothered with it , but next day the rest had downloaded so I restored the deleted part and started again