Doris Day

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen

glenshena
leading Poster
leading Poster

Doris Day

Post by glenshena » Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 pm

So sorry to hear of the death of Doris Day. Amazingly she got to be 97 years old. She was my favourite actress in the 50's and 60's; so glad I got my mother to record 'Calamity Jane' on video tape - my favourite film, which she sent to me in the late 70's so I can enjoy this musical whenever I want. Thankfully I still have my video recorder. But maybe they are on DVD nowadays!

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Doris Day

Post by brian f » Mon May 13, 2019 7:23 pm

glenshena- Doris was a bit before my time although i knew she was a legend. Some shops in England dont sell DVD players anymore as no demand . Streaming is all the rage Netflix, Amazon etc.
I can't resist a Freddo.

Sarah
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Sarah » Tue May 14, 2019 4:38 am

Was my favourite too, loved her movies and her voice felt quite nostalgic when i heard the news this morning ..

Hughie
Heid Administrator
Heid Administrator

Post by Hughie » Tue May 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Loved her all those years ago. Everything about here was so unique - she was a real one off. RIP

glenshena
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by glenshena » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am

Last night our tv showed one of her movies where she was portrayed as a would be sheep farmer and convinced 'Womens Rights' campaigner. She looked divine in her long blonde hair and a pair of tight blue jeans, just what women are wearing nowadays. There were no songs though. I'm waiting for Calamity Jane. If not I'll pull out my video recorder some night. Seemingly in 1953 the song 'Secret Love' won an oscar for best song category and later in 1956 in a film with James Stewart, 'The man who knew too much' 'Che sera sera' became the main part of the film and a song that no-one could ever forget.

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray » Wed May 15, 2019 12:08 pm

I have a vivid memory of seeing "Calamity Jane" in the Lyric, Princes Street, Ardrossan, circa 1955 - (got in with an empty Co-operative 2lb. jam jar in those days) - Who could forget the Deadwood stage? - Doris was a beautiful woman, tremendous singer, and talented actress - R.I.P.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.