Doris Day

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Doris Day

Post by glenshena »

So sorry to hear of the death of Doris Day. Amazingly she got to be 97 years old. She was my favourite actress in the 50's and 60's; so glad I got my mother to record 'Calamity Jane' on video tape - my favourite film, which she sent to me in the late 70's so I can enjoy this musical whenever I want. Thankfully I still have my video recorder. But maybe they are on DVD nowadays!
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Doris Day

Post by brian f »

glenshena- Doris was a bit before my time although i knew she was a legend. Some shops in England dont sell DVD players anymore as no demand . Streaming is all the rage Netflix, Amazon etc.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Was my favourite too, loved her movies and her voice felt quite nostalgic when i heard the news this morning ..
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Loved her all those years ago. Everything about here was so unique - she was a real one off. RIP
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Last night our tv showed one of her movies where she was portrayed as a would be sheep farmer and convinced 'Womens Rights' campaigner. She looked divine in her long blonde hair and a pair of tight blue jeans, just what women are wearing nowadays. There were no songs though. I'm waiting for Calamity Jane. If not I'll pull out my video recorder some night. Seemingly in 1953 the song 'Secret Love' won an oscar for best song category and later in 1956 in a film with James Stewart, 'The man who knew too much' 'Che sera sera' became the main part of the film and a song that no-one could ever forget.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I have a vivid memory of seeing "Calamity Jane" in the Lyric, Princes Street, Ardrossan, circa 1955 - (got in with an empty Co-operative 2lb. jam jar in those days) - Who could forget the Deadwood stage? - Doris was a beautiful woman, tremendous singer, and talented actress - R.I.P.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.