Threetowners in Uniform

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Threetowners in Uniform

Post by Hughie »

Let's see if we can share and perhaps save for posterity any photos we have of our relatives in uniform.
This is my father Hugh McCallum born at 16 Kyleshill in Saltcoats in 1912 and passed away in 1975. We believe this photo was taken in Iraq when he was with the Royal Artillery. Why is there no sign of insignia on his uniform?

His Overseas service according to MOD was: Iraq - August 1941 till June 1943. Middle East - June 1943 till October 1944. Central Mediterranean Force - October 1944 till August 1945.
Hugh McCallum b1912 Saltcoats.jpg
Any member wishing help in showing such photos can contact me for assistance hugh.mccallum@gmail.com
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners in Uniform

Post by hahaya2004 »

I don't think they had insignia on their shirts, Hughie. On all the photos I have of my father ( and his pals) you only see insignia on the jacket.
Scan0055a.jpg
William McCart, born 1924, Raise St. Saltcoats, died 1964, South Beach Ardrossan. Royal Engineers, Operation Overlord, later MP, BAOR. The photo was taken 1944/45 in Dusseldorf.
Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

My dad Robert Black is on the left in his R.A.F uniform born in 1911 died in 1986 .After he came out R.A.F he worked in S.A.L. till he retired.
Uncle John Black in his R.A.F. uniform .He had the ironmongers in Dockhead Street.
scan0007-horz.jpg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

You really do look like your Dad, Milda. What a handsome pair.

Meg
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Thanks Meg,yeah sometimes I see myself very like him and other times,whatever way I look in the mirror,I see my mum .
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I know what you mean Milda - not only do I look like my mum, I sound like her and have mannerisms like her!

Meg
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

100MEDIA_IMAG0205.jpg
My Quinn uncles. Frank, Willie, John.
Front, James, Pat.
Uncle Willie died at the end of the war, an accident involved in bringing the bodies home. I believe he's buried in Lille. Also, I think he married a lady who lives / lived in South Africa and had a son there. I'd love to be able to get in touch..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Morag,

Is there any chance this 'link' identifies the location of your Uncle Willie's grave and provides a photograph of his headstone? The date of passing corresponds with an intimation in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats BMD archive for June 1945.

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=2350847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Yes, P.T. that's him. Agnes went to South Africa with their son. I've tried to get info. The son actually came to my gparents house but they were out and the uncle who answered the door, it didn't dawn on him who called. When he realised he ran outside but the young man was gone.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Good work Penny !!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mike,

Thanks. It may be that Morag was previously aware of the location of the grave but I also posted for the wider information of those who might wish to trace or see the headstone of a family member killed in combat and buried overseas. The search process in the 'link' is fairly simple. If you have nothing more than a First Name and Surname the site will provide a choice of similarly named individuals to consider. Morag provided a first name and surname with the added information that she thought her Uncle Willie was buried in Lille. She was also able to say that the death occurred near the end of the War.

The credit really goes to the volunteers who have built up this site.

http://twgpp.org/search.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by frank quinn »

Thanks Penny,
William Quinn was my uncle also & I remember the family
lived in Strathaven. I knew his wife & son went to South Africa. Lost contact
now we have a chance to see if they are our relations.