Local Mine Watchers

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Local Mine Watchers

Post by Robert Cook »

Their seems to be some misunderstanding Hughie. The photos originated with George not with me. He had sent them to me and I sent him some of my father in the Home guard (camping up the country). My father was not in the mine watchers therefore he is not in any of the pictures. Anyway just thought I'd keep you straight.

Robert
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Robert, This was the details sent to me. Hughie
My Father is the one with the cross above his head. Second from the left in both photos in Findley Murchie of ''Baychimo" fame, Robert Cook`s Father is also there but I am not sure which one. Robert now lives in Canada, It was him who sent me these photos.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

Robert Cook wrote:Their seems to be some misunderstanding Hughie. The photos originated with George not with me. He had sent them to me and I sent him some of my father in the Home guard (camping up the country). My father was not in the mine watchers therefore he is not in any of the pictures. Anyway just thought I'd keep you straight.

Robert
Sorry Robert i got it wrong again , after I had sent the photos an reread the text i realised the mistake but thought I would just leave it to confuse you. Sorry mate put it down to old age {another senior moment}
all the best george
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Robert Cook wrote: He had sent them to me and I sent him some of my father in the Home guard (camping up the country). Robert
Robert - I'd love to see your home guard pictures - my dad worked in a reserved occupation and he was in the home guards. Could you post them?

Meg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Meg Gordon wrote:
Hughie wrote:second from the left in both photos is Findley Murchie of ''Baychimo" fame.
Hughie - Findley Murchie was a good friend of my father's - I think they both worked in the Shell at one time. I remember the last time we saw him (a wheen o years ago) he was staying near the golf course in Lochranza. But, I haven't heard what he had to do with Baychimo - I know the story of the cargo ship, but was Findlay one of the crew? He had the most amazing stories and a wonderful way of telling them.

Meg

Bump- Hughie ???
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Meg, The Baychimo story and mention of Findley Murchie are in the story by Joan Biggar about "Ardrossan the Bunker Port". She kindly allowed us to publish it on threetowners. See here
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hi Meg

I have sent the home guard picture to Hughie to post as I am totally incompetent computer-wise.
My dad was also in a reserved occupation as he also worked at Shell Mex. Before we moved to Canada
he was a foreman (of fitters and turners) and had been with them 17years after serving his time in Ardrossan Dockyard.

Robert
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Looking forward to seeing the photo Robert - my dad was a foreman in the can factory during the war - then went back to shell afterwards. What was your dad's first name? Have you checked the photos - if he was in the shell choir there's a picture of them on the stage in the shell club (with the big shell behind them).

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Robert Cook wrote:I have sent the home guard picture to Hughie
Got me just in time, heading for my long walk before the heat of the day. :)
Robert Cook's dad is on the left - anyone know the others?
PapaHomeguard.jpg
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hi Meg

Dads name was Robert but as usual was called Bobbie or Boabbie. Yes he was in the shell choir and I have the original of that picture. I also have a picture taken inside the shell canteen with 20 or 30 of the workers in it.
As well a picture of the shell kids xmas party (not the same one as is posted in the shell page). Only wish I was as smart as you lot at posting pictures

Robert
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

John Donnelly wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:26 pm Remember the big mine at the end of the promenade, which was a collection point for charity. I think it was for the Miners' Coast Home.
Replying to your old post regarding the mine, John. Came across it today.

John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks Hughie,

I remember that mine, but it's not the one I was talking about.
'My' mine was at the end of the 'railway' prom (the slabs) at the beginning of Stevenston beach.
It was on your left hand side as you went down the steps onto the sand.

JD.