" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by mckay47 »

Penny Tray wrote:You Stevenstonians are lucky was I off-line for the last three days - Little Plum wi' a drooth and drinking watter; Bobbydarg as Baby Bear; McKay47 dancing the can-can - and Meekan at a circus in the toon where he recalls lot's of audience participation - well, well, well, what can I say
canny leave us alone for five minutes PT!! :lol:
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

Interesting topic brings back lots of memories I 've thought about all the shops that were in the bottom end before and I think there were something like 29 or so before you crossed the station gates . Interested to read L.P's post about working in the chip shop in Carment drive as I also peeled the tatties to make chips on a Saturday /sunday as well ,it was Fred and Marisa Michellini who ran the shop when I worked there. My Mother was the fish and chip fryer for Freddy for a good few years heres a picture of my Mother and a girl called Helen Mckenzie behind the counter , hope it brings back memories for you L.P .
Attachments
img154.jpg
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hi Jim, brings back loads of memories. I remember leaning on that counter many a night after the B.B's to get a bag of chips to eat walking back home, and peeling spuds through that wee door, behind your mum. When getting a few spare minutes I would go into the back garden and feed Fred's pet rabbits. I soon stopped that the day he took the largest one upstairs for the pot.
Jim, I loved the photo of you and Henry that you posted on one of the other topics ( lets have a laugh). It's the first image I've seen of the engine house I used to play in. (The one with the dome roof) The building on the right of the photo had a deep shaft in it, we would throw stones into the dark and listen for the splash. One day Len Hamersley from Misk Knows fell down the shaft and had to be rescued by the fire service.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Wreckless= Alan Willis

Big house at railway back of Murdoch Cresents, not McAlpines but Mochen's for a good few years now
I'm sure it was something like Penfold/ Penfield.
I think it was Penfold
McAlpine stayed at High Road the part next to where Tescos is to day, David McAlpine had a motorbike (BSA??)with what was called a Dustbin Fairing which covered the front wheel and low down headlight

George Smith had the Garage which was and still is the Beach Service Station
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Stivis wrote
Big house at railway back of Murdoch Cresents, not McAlpines but Mochen's for a good few years now
I'm talking about 50-60 years ago when it was McAlpines.
Idiot - seeks village.
JimMcCub
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JimMcCub »

Hi L.P he must have eaten all the rabbits by the time I got there ! I think there may be a photo of Freddy somewhere I'll try and post it sometime.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Thought i'd just pop these into our saunter.
winnings2-vert.jpg
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

37 bogelmart street........Where abouts? .......What is now a Flower shop?
I remember Harry Donnelly's next to Louie Boyd's
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Bobby,
I think Mr Winning was a past captain at Ardeer Golf Club, there is a hole named after him called Winning Way.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Meekan, thats interesting. Would the names be transfered from old Ardeer golf course or would the holes be renamed when the new course up the Hayocks was complete. At a guess , I would say this might have been 68.?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Continuing on our walk under the bridge, on the right hand side sat the " Cabin " . I remember Mary Burns working in there, I seem to recall it had a sit in area. I used to go in there on my way to and from school. Over the road on the same side was an opticians and middle T.C. Banks (grocers).
On the left hand side of the bridge sat a large billboard, it was quite handy when seeing the latest click home. :wink: , opposite this sits the war memorial. Our family doctors surgery was next to the memorial, I'm sure the doctors name was Ross. A bit further on sat the Greystone's Hotel owned By Wullie Shields.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

I think there was a Dr Karmichael. Across the road was a building which was in it's late stages was a plant hire company, don't know what it was before that. Moving on up there was the entrance to Ardeer rec's park, which must have been the best junior stadium in Scotland. It was complete with it's own running track, a stand, and an enclosure which ran from one goal line to another. There very few photos of this stadium, so if anyone wants to prove me wrong, please do. Continuing up towards the cross on the right you had the livingston church, and oposite there was a pawnbrokers a barbers and who could forget Gourlies sweet shop. They used to send one of their workers across to the railings at the Higher grade with a tray full of sweets which you could buy through the railings. Next to Gourlies was the Thistle club, the social club of my beloved Ardeer Thistle. Many a night i spent in there with the Kraze playing to a packed house of under 18s. Must stop for now as im off to a wedding.
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home