" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by little plum »

B.D., on the opposite corner from Gilmour's was the chemist, I can't recall the name. I'm sure there was a butchers and hairdressers, someone will give the location. In Warner St. we had the Co-op and down towards Lawson's scrap yard there was the cobbler Alex Paul.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

If we go back to the PO corner across from White's Church, you can see it's recently changed. There used to be a telephone booth there too and naturally a pillar box outside the shop. From what I gather our favourite Stevenston poet, Bob Scott - AKA Bob Auld lived next door prior to his death in 2005 at the age of 96.
PO-corner.jpg
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

We did the Pirates of Penzance in 1963 and the stage seemed packed with pupils and my 5 minutes of Fame was singing 'Summertime' from Porgy & Bess. When you think of what Mr Procter & Miss Donaldson did for us in those days, was marvelous.Being young we did not appreciate it, only when you look back you realise it was a good School. Remember you Robert being 'Baby Bear'. We were taken to Sadlers Wells Operas in Glasgow many times, and I remember coming out of seeing Mutiny on the Bounty, also in Glasgow ,to be told by someone that President Kennedy had been killed.

There was a Hairdressers before Gilmours Grocery store which was owned by Wallace Blair ,but run by his wife, can't remember the name of it.

Anne
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

little plum wrote:B.D., can I take a step back for a minute. Do you remember the wee shop at the start of Trelawney Terr. It was called Campbell Blairs. It sold the best apple and pear ice lollies anywhere. It sat on waste ground opposite a large red sandstone building which was part of Ardoch Cres.
Yes i remember it well, when i was about 6 we stayed in 1 Ardoch cr. Right next door to the "wee hut"
The chemists at the station was McDonald's, and there was also a fishmonger there as well. This is a view from the other end of Warner st. where the shops were. Also around the corner were a few more shops. There was a fish and chip shop and a newsagents.
warnerst.jpg
be nice to your children, they'll pick your care home
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

Aileen Shaw wrote:Sadly Florence had cancer in1990 and she passed away.
I am so shocked and sorry to hear that Aileen, she was so young!!
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by mckay47 »

bobbydarg wrote:i was about 6 we stayed in 1 Ardoch cr
We lived at 31 Ardoch Crescent, from 1949-1963...It was a great street to live on....loved it there. Do you remember the McCarts, I think they went to Canada when the parents died, they had a sister there. Then there was the Clarks, and the Wilsons, to name just a few...good folks.
little plum wrote:Do you remember the wee shop at the start of Trelawney Terr. It was called Campbell Blairs.
Used to stop there on the way to school most days...Rubarb rock and penny caramels, yum!
Betty
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Bobby Darg wrote
On the same side as the "halls" was Joe's cafe, then a bakers, it may have been Parks. Next to that was Sawyers's paper shop, If i remember correctly up the close there lived a boy, i forget his name, but he owned a monkey.
I seem to recall his name was possibly Norman Yarr.
Idiot - seeks village.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

mckay47 wrote:
bobbydarg wrote:i was about 6 we stayed in 1 Ardoch cr
We lived at 31 Ardoch Crescent, from 1949-1963...It was a great street to live on....loved it there. Do you remember the McCarts, I think they went to Canada when the parents died, they had a sister there. Then there was the Clarks, and the Wilsons, to name just a few...good folks.
little plum wrote:Do you remember the wee shop at the start of Trelawney Terr. It was called Campbell Blairs.
Used to stop there on the way to school most days...Rubarb rock and penny caramels, yum!
Betty
The McCarts stayed next door to us , i think.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

bobbydarg wrote: This is a view from the other end of Warner st. where the shops were. Also around the corner were a few more shops. There was a fish and chip shop and a newsagents..
When you turned in to Carment Dr. from Warner St. There was a wee shop on the left hand side, that used to sell home made toffees, don't remember the name. Further down on the right sat the fish and chip shop you mentioned bobby. I always remember it as " Freddies" , had a summer job in there peeling spuds. :roll:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

When you came to the station i can always remember the waiting room with a lovely coal fire. The station master didn't mind you sitting in there, as long as you behaved, which we did in those days we did.
OLDPHOTOGRAPHSOFSTEVENSTON137.jpg

Just through the gates was a lovely wee row of cottages, behind which, i think sat the station square. I had an old aunt who lived in there, I always thought of that place as a throw back to real old days.
OLDPHOTOGRAPHSOFSTEVENSTON115.jpg
Moving on up, on the right hand side you had the coal yard, don't know who owned it. Then on the same side you had Winning's wee shop which sold papers and lots of toys. When we were about 5 years married we stayed down in Clark cr. and i can remember every day coming home from work and popping to Winnings to get my son a dinky model car.
If we had kept them we could have retired early. :lol:
Carry on LP.
Last edited by bobbydarg on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

bobby, the photo of the waiting room is showing as photobucket.

bobby, do you remember the wall at the coal yard, it consisted of railway sleepers standing on end. Quite often you would see a couple of horses tethered behind the wall, I think the owner must have been a regular in the Station Bar across the road. Next to the Station Bar sat a grocers, I think it was called Bunties? and next to Winnings newsagents there was a savings bank.
bobbydarg
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobbydarg »

Is that any better?