" A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: " A Saunter roon Stinstin"

Post by Big T »

The shop in Burnbank st was Peter Quidi's (sp) Many a cone I bought there. A little confession on my part it was the one and only time I got a hiding from my Dad. We used to steal chocolate from the side of the counter.
So being a big man I told some of the local girls who shopped me to Peter
Needless to say to this day I have never took anything that does not belong to me. I could not sit for week.
This shop was were Father Mimna (sp) used to buy all the kids in the caley ice cream. It was like the Pied Piper
liz gemmell
Settling In
Settling In

Post by liz gemmell »

Tom Campbell the Liscensed Grocer was my Grandfather. He died in 1965, his son also Tom (obviously my Uncle Tom) took over the business for a while after that. His younger brother Gerry (yes i know i've heard all the Tom & Gerry jokes! was my dad . My Aunt Theresa is the only surviving member of that generation left. She is 91 and is a Carmelite nun in Dumbarton. Aunt Mary died on 21st in Canada aged 99, Aunt Theresa will be 92 on March 23rd this year 2013.Liz Gemmell
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

chriso wrote:Bobby Darg wrote
On the same side as the "halls" was Joe's cafe, then a bakers, it may have been Parks. Next to that was Sawyers's paper shop, If i remember correctly up the close there lived a boy, i forget his name, but he owned a monkey.
I seem to recall his name was possibly Norman Yarr.
And here he is Chris with his pet monkey, Jenny.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

Yes indeed, that was the old clinic and upstairs the library. Miss spencer was head librarian , my mother Janet Hammersley the Assistant.
Len
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Oh my, the memories Ms. Spencer..
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

little plum wrote:
chriso wrote:Bobby Darg wrote
On the same side as the "halls" was Joe's cafe, then a bakers, it may have been Parks. Next to that was Sawyers's paper shop, If i remember correctly up the close there lived a boy, i forget his name, but he owned a monkey.
I seem to recall his name was possibly Norman Yarr.
And here he is Chris with his pet monkey, Jenny.

Weren't the Yarr's hairdressers / barbers?/
C.S.Lewis
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

I think Ann Williams was 'Bonnie Lesley'at one time.
Len
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

It would be great if someone has photos of old ardeer golf club, where I played from 12 till 16 when the club moved to Greenhead. For some daft reason never took photographs of the course and clubhouse (Davie Crawford was the steward, and we Juniors were scared of him, but he was actually a lovely man).At that time people like Willie Winning, Frank Gilmour, Hector Cochrane, Jim Wales, Davie Campbell were prominent, and my father Bob Hammersley was the club Secretary. Does anyone remember Janet Wales, who was in my class at school (careful here!)
len
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

len wrote:It would be great if someone has photos of old ardeer golf club, where I played from 12 till 16 when the club moved to Greenhead. For some daft reason never took photographs of the course and clubhouse (Davie Crawford was the steward, and we Juniors were scared of him, but he was actually a lovely man).At that time people like Willie Winning, Frank Gilmour, Hector Cochrane, Jim Wales, Davie Campbell were prominent, and my father Bob Hammersley was the club Secretary. Does anyone remember Janet Wales, who was in my class at school (careful here!)
len
Lenny, I have been asking everywhere if anyone had photos of old ardeer, and the Quarry, where between the two of them I spent most of my childhood. But no one seems to have any.
These two are the only ones I can find.

Jim Hughey and Jim (Cheery)Love with my dog Kim and cheery's dog whose name I can't remember with Jim.
Looking at the railway that ran up to the factory station,from the Not sure if it was maybe the 10 th? tee.

Jim Strangling Cheery.

Idiot - seeks village.
len
Settling In
Settling In

Post by len »

Hi Chris, Thanks for this. It may well have been the 10th tee, what a loss the course was. Cheery was a good friend of mine, especially through the golf and he and Jim Wilson introducing me to the devil drink.
I well remember the quarry too. We could roam for miles in those days. I recall a lot more ice on ponds those days. The White Wife (where did that name come from), also the pond on the golf course. A wonder noone got drowned the risks we took.
Cheerie as you may know settled in Mississauga. Poor Allison died of a brain tumour a few years ago. My parents used to visit them often on their way to see our Anne in Montrea.

Cheers Chris,
Len
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

len wrote:Hi Chris, Thanks for this. It may well have been the 10th tee, what a loss the course was. Cheery was a good friend of mine, especially through the golf and he and Jim Wilson introducing me to the devil drink.
I well remember the quarry too. We could roam for miles in those days. I recall a lot more ice on ponds those days. The White Wife (where did that name come from), also the pond on the golf course. A wonder noone got drowned the risks we took.
Cheerie as you may know settled in Mississauga. Poor Allison died of a brain tumour a few years ago. My parents used to visit them often on their way to see our Anne in Montrea.

Cheers Chris,
Len
Hi Len, there were 3 ponds there, we knew as the white wife, the yellow man and the black baby.. :smt102 Gypsies often camped nearby. Just by the old St. John's school / church. We were warned within an inch of our lives not to go near the quarry..made it all the more alluring!
C.S.Lewis
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

Hi Len, the class thing, fair enough lets forget about it. Cheery Love was in my class and what a guy, it didn't matter what had happened always laughing always cheery. Billy Broon organised a play acting class and Cheery imitated someone who was lying down and had been attacked by insects and then proceeded to scratch his arse. Apologise Viv, the class was in an uproar and old Billy liked it as well.