A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A Stroll round 1960s Saltcoats

Post by down south »

I can't think it was as far back as 1957, Hughie, because I was only a baby then, but I remember the fire happening very well; I would put it at more like 1961 or 1962, when I was about five or so.

Susan
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The fire was reported in the Evening Times on Monday 2 July 1962. John Lee died.

Three other families - Allison, King and Noble were evacuated
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote:The fire was reported in the Evening Times on Monday 2 July 1962.
Goodness me! What was I doing down the Monkey Walk then when I was winching oor Betty - must have been during one of our few fall outs. :?
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Penny Tray wrote:The fire was reported in the Evening Times on Monday 2 July 1962.
Thank you so much Penny Tray.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thank you from me too PT, I've long wondered when exactly it was. The facts accord very well with what I remember, that the blaze was still being damped down as we passed on the bus the morning after; and it being in July explains why I wasn't at school. I see it was not long after Ness Gardens opened , which was in March of that year, so it's no wonder we all seemed to mentally link the two events together.

Susan
Jim Richmond
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Jim Richmond »

down south wrote:Beyond the aforementioned cottages, another row of new shops has been built since my day; perhaps someone has an idea of how long ago that happened ?

But on that site in the sixties, and for some time before that, stood Saltcoats Motor Garage; a building with, I think, white walls and light blue doors , set back behind a forecourt ( did they sell petrol ? I can't say I remember it. )
The attachment Saltcoats Motors.jpg is no longer available
Also part of the business, according to the phone book, was the Saltcoats School of Motoring, which had its office in the first shop past the garage.

As the advert shows, the proprietor was a John Fleming. Makes a change to have a Fleming involved in a business other than greengrocery; was he a relative of that same family of Flemings ?

Susan
John Fleming was my great grandfather on my mother's side. That's him wearing the soft hat.

Regards

Jim
Attachments
img038.jpg
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Hector lee was my uncle, so was the man who died in the fire,. arthur lee. Uncle hector had three children, two boys and a girl.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

hector lee was my uncle, so was the man who died in the fire, arthur lee. Uncle hector had three children, two boys and a girl. Ailsa lee was not related to arthur lee. His brother john married ailsa's mother.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Ailsa was a very nice girl, she was very happy with Matt. Her mother was married to John Lee who died in the fire, Arthur was Johns brother.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for that, Jean.

And thanks very much, Jim, for that great picture of Saltcoats Motor Garage. Since that earlier post of mine I've discovered more exact information about when the garage closed; it was in early 1973, and here's an advertisement for what might be described as the closing-down sale of garage equipment etc:
Saltcoats Motor Garage 1973.jpg
Susan
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

The third brother was called steven, now a qualifird gas engineer. :D
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

pussycat wrote:does any one remember the westfield hotel on the sea front its flats now what a pity. and sheddens the joiners in windmill street.
I remember fondly the Westfield hotel, we had a few good nights in the bar. It was a landmark and it was a pity it was demolished. However the public bar on Melbourne road side attracted a bad clientel so it was better when that part closed down.