NON-SCOTTISH/BRITISH SURNAMES

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: NON-SCOTTISH/BRITISH SURNAMES

Post by geomacintyre »

Hi Meg,

Just picked up this thread. as well as being at school with Carl Olson (who married a Largs girl called Linda) we were at school with Pat Köerner (although she lived in Bowfield Cottage, West Kilbride). There were also the de Mellos with Denise marrying one of the Ardrossan Hogarths, David playing for the Accies and I think there was another brother/cousin Charlie. Mentioned in another topic were the Marshalls of Stevenston - when we joined Ardrossan Academy there was prefect Janet Marshall from Stevenston and her brother Duncan - who I believe intended to go into the Merchant Navy when we left school - was in our year.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
geomacintyre
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by geomacintyre »

Meant to say in previous post also think that when you came across the footbridge from Barrie Terrace into Park Road, Ardrossan, on the houses on the right hand side I believe there were the Andersens of Scandinavian descent. I always thought it quite ironic that they stayed so close to Anderson Terrace.
What we do for ourselves alone dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. - Albert Pine
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

geomacintyre wrote:There were also the de Mellos with Denise marrying one of the Ardrossan Hogarths,
Spookily enough, I was just talking about Denise on Wed night - she lives in Turnberry and is a friend of the head teacher at the school I am working in at the moment. Dont remember the Koerner girl though ...

Meg
Dalerob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dalerob »

Charlie Pllu was a goalkeeper for Sheffield Wednesday in the late fifties
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Unsure on the above but I'll point oor Mary to that post.

Think at that time there was one of the Ardrossan Fry boys played for Sheffield Wednesday and I seem to remember around that time a player from Sheffield Wednesday losing a leg in a club mini-bus accident.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Charlie Pllu, born Saltcoats on 28/2/34 and John Frye, born Ardrossan on 27/7/33, both played for Sheffield Wednesday in the early 60s.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Dalerob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dalerob »

Hughie wrote:Unsure on the above but I'll point oor Mary to that post.

Think at that time there was one of the Ardrossan Fry boys played for Sheffield Wednesday and I seem to remember around that time a player from Sheffield Wednesday losing a leg in a club mini-bus accident.
Dougie McMillan lost a leg at the age of 19 when the team coach ran into a ditch on the A1 near Huntingdon when returning from the Boxing Day match with Arsenal. He was on the fringe of a very fine first team that finished second to the famous double winning Spurs side of 1960/61. A tragedy for a very promising young footballer. I don't have any details of his origins but I believe he is a Scot.
Dalerob
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dalerob »

Penny Tray wrote:Charlie Pllu, born Saltcoats on 28/2/34 and John Frye, born Ardrossan on 27/7/33, both played for Sheffield Wednesday in the early 60s.
Charlie Pllu made a total of 20 appearances for Wednesday in seasons 1956/57 and 1957/58.
John Frye made a single appearance in season 1960/61 in what was probably Wednesday's finest post war team.
JoeDalton
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JoeDalton »

I was at school with Leanello Beli from largs who changed his name to Bobby Beli.
We went to St Peters he was a handsom guy and the gilrs all loved him.
I met him years later he was working in a bar on largs front.
I bet all the lassies that went to st Peters remember him
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hi. Chriso, I used to have a drink now and then with Martin Olsen. Is he related, and are you a joiner to trade? Cheers, A.B.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Kris Olsen was in my primary class. His photos in the school section (miss wilkies). I got into trouble for using a 'C' at the beginning of his name. marg
skipper081
Settling In
Settling In

Post by skipper081 »

Hi, My mum's maiden name was BUDRIS. Her parents were from Lithuania. Her sister married Mr RIMICANS from Latvia and lived in Dalry.