WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: WHAT FAMOUS PEOPLE HAVE VISITED.....?

Post by morag »

brian f wrote:Know the feeling , Morag :smt039 but
Never look down when the sun is up :D
Thanks, Brian..I tend to be a 'sunny sider' too! :D and now I have the Monty Python song in my head!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
boots1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boots1 »

does anyone know what month in 1985 prince charles came to stevenston i would like to try and look back at the local papers to see if there was anything about it am guessing with this happening it would have been a topic for the news
Richard

Post by Richard »

AYE...It was the month the taxes went up...PARASITES
:mrgreen:
Jeeezooooooooooooooooooooo.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Another famous visitor making an appearance in the Herald Files this week; Lord Baden-Powell of the Scout movement, who visited Ardrossan and other places in North Ayrshire and reviewed a parade of local scouts at Eglinton School, quite early on in the history of the movement in April 1913:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/camweh/ ... 7.jpg.html

Here are a couple of pictures of the event :

http://www.iandalgleish.co.uk/AAwebsite ... age93.html

http://www.iandalgleish.co.uk/AAwebsite ... age94.html

( and no, I don't know what happened to Baden-Powell 1 ! )

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

William Booth, the founder and first general of the Salvation Army, visited Saltcoats on the 21st of August 1905.

The Glasgow Herald reported the occasion in the following terms -

"The General and his party reached Saltcoats in the evening. A reception was held in the Lesser Town Hall, at which there was present Provost Blakely, Bailies Arnott and Donaldson, Police Judge Millar, other members of the Town Council, the Town Clerk, and leading residents of the district. The General was cordially welcomed.

Afterwards he addressed a crowded meeting in the Town Hall, presided over by Provost Blakely. The General, on rising, was received with cheers. He recognised that the welcome was intended for the organisation with which he was associated. He thought the Salvation Army deserved well of the people because of the work it had been able to perform. He preferred preaching the Salvation of Christ to talking of the triumphs of the organisation; making Salvationists was more to his liking than talking about the doings of Salvationists. In a powerful address he told of the organisation and aims of the Salvation Army and their achievements; he invited his hearers to help him in rescuing the poor and wretched in the community.

Bailie Donaldson proposed a vote of thanks to the General, which was seconded by Bailie Arnott, and responded to with enthusiasm.

The General leaves Saltcoats this morning. He is the guest of Provost Blakely."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

[quote="Meg"]Oh PT - too hard a question - how can you choose between Peter Capaldi, Bill Patterson, James McEvoy, Ewan McGregor, John Hannah, David Tennant, Tom Conti etc.etc. -

Watch out Meg ,the DALEKS return this Saturday night :P
Norrie Ford
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Norrie Ford »

Penny Tray wrote:Och well, maybe her mammy drapped her aff!
Lulu was a wee pimply girl with the Luvvers.
I remember when Eric Caldow opened the Saltcoats Bowling Alley
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

I`m told General Eisenhower passed through Ardrossan after visiting Flag Officer Greenock, the officer in charge of shipping in the Clyde just a few months before D Day. I must admit I`ve not been able to verify but I Have seen documents at The National Archive, Kew, which states he did visit Naval Establishments on the west coast of Scotland.So there maybe some element of truth in this story.

Frank Brand
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thomas Cook.

From the 13 April 1926 edition of the Glasgow Herald -

When Mr Thomas Cook, of Melbourne, Derbyshire, ran his first cheap excursion from Leicester to Loughborough in September, 1843, as a treat to schoolchildren, Scotland was an unknown country to the mass of English people. His decision to open up Scotland to those who could not afford to travel by coach was the beginning of the great world touring agency that bears his name, and is now removing its headquarters from Fleet Street to Piccadilly Circus.

In planning his first excursion to Scotland in 1847 Mr Cook found his path beset with obstacles. The nearest English railway station to Scotland at that time was Newcastle-on-Tyne, from which the journey had to be continued by sea.

As a result of two visits to Scotland to make the preliminary arrangements, he fell back on the alternative of taking his excursion by rail to Fleetwood on the western seaboard of Lancashire, thence to ARDROSSAN by steamer, and from Ardrossan by rail to Glasgow and Edinburgh.
liam white
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by liam white »

A wee introductory message from me can anyone confirm if Charlie Chaplin played saltcoats ice rink early 1900s? //funny
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think this would have been DAVE WILLIS, who definitely played Saltcoats and was billed as the SCOTTISH CHARLIE CHAPLIN.

http://collinsvariety.co.uk/wp-content/ ... Willis.jpg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember seeing Randolph Turpin wrestling at the Castle Craigs in Ardrossan around 1963.
In 1951 he became world middleweight champion when he defeated Sugar Ray Robinson. Turpin was inducted into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame in 2001.
More