THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
leprikon59
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Post by leprikon59 »

Postby Penny Tray » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 am
Hughie,

Thanks for that cross-reference. It's spot on and exactly how I remember my one visit there. It was a dark, sinister, scary place and whatever she did to my Mars Bar ensured I never went back back. She was scary too. You're maybe right, it was probably an establishment only intended for sailors and a certain type of adult women. However, whilst everyone seems to be referring to it as "Old Ezzie's" I think I'm correct in stating that it's proper name was the CONTINENTAL CAFE.

This from last weeks herald may explain where the cafe got its name but would i be correct in thinking the depot must have been in kilmahew st .

March 13th 1959
AN Ardrossan man has asked why Anderson Terrace was given that name. It was named after the late Baillie James Anderson who had a grocers shop and egg business where the Anglo Continental Depot is now situated.

I have no memories of this cafe but i do recall the Derby cafe which would have been close bye on the opposite side?
For some scenic photos of Ardrossan & the West Coast click here http://www.youtube.com/leprikon59
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Ref to "Anglo continental depot" Kilmahew street
I presume the article referred to the Anglo Continental Container depot which I think was across from the police station close to Nicol's bar (i think) I'm pretty sure it later became Northern Ireland Trailers. The continental cafe would be there before containers became the norm. The Derby cafe was across the street from it we called it Alfie's
(Augustini') The Continental cafe was just up a bit from the eagle cleaners which was on the corner of kilmahew street. The deep sea fish and chip shop was on the opposite corner.
leprikon59 wrote:Re: THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Postby Penny Tray » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:30 am
Hughie,

Thanks for that cross-reference. It's spot on and exactly how I remember my one visit there. It was a dark, sinister, scary place and whatever she did to my Mars Bar ensured I never went back back. She was scary too. You're maybe right, it was probably an establishment only intended for sailors and a certain type of adult women. However, whilst everyone seems to be referring to it as "Old Ezzie's" I think I'm correct in stating that it's proper name was the CONTINENTAL CAFE.

This from last weeks herald may explain where the cafe got its name but would i be correct in thinking the depot must have been in kilmahew st .

March 13th 1959
AN Ardrossan man has asked why Anderson Terrace was given that name. It was named after the late Baillie James Anderson who had a grocers shop and egg business where the Anglo Continental Depot is now situated.

I have no memories of this cafe but i do recall the Derby cafe which would have been close bye on the opposite side?
Lesley Vass
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lesley Vass »

Penny Tray wrote:Hughie,

As an aside, because you mention 'JOCK'S LODGE', I recall circa 1966 seeing the hugh frontage (in gold letters) from above that pub, in the garden of Constable John Shearer (fondly mentioned elsewhere on THREETOWNERS) at the bottom of St. Andrew's Road. The pub was being demolished and I understand his nightshift polis colleagues loaded it somehow into the back of a police van and propped it up in his front garden. He, of course, was known throughout the town as Big JOCK Shearer.
Penny.... I am Jock Shearer's daughter - I have no recollection of the 'Jock's Lodge' sign being propped up in our front garden in St Andrew's Road! - do you have any other information? What and where was 'Jock's Lodge'?
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

thanks for that info on ezzies, i always thought i imagined it.
Last edited by unicornheart on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Lesley,

I'm travelling at the moment and ony snatching a look at the site from a hotel in deepest, darkest, freezing cold Plymouth (I thought it got warmer when you travelled south). I'll come back to you about the Jock's Lodge sign. The premises were a pub in Glasgow Street.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hi Lesley

Welcome to the 3 towners - great to see you posting - you'll read a lot of warm memories of your dad on the site. I was brought up in Clyde Terrace and I think you were a year below me at school.

Meg
Lesley Vass
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Lesley Vass »

Hi Meg... I remember Clyde Terrace. What was your maiden name? Yes, I have enjoyed reading some stories about my Dad - and all of them are good, which I think says a lot for him. It brings back happy memories. Nice speaking to you Meg! :-)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I've sent you a PM Lesley.

Meg
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

I think the Central cafe was owned by the Motroni's, across the street was Alfie's and then the Bute Bar or the Ponderosa as it was called which also had a reputation with the local talent. Poppy
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Poppy,

Was the Central Cafe not run by the Depratto family?
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

Penny Tray

I was sure it was the Motroni's but you have me thinking now what were the Da Prato's connected with? Poppy
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Poppy,

I was going to argue with you that there was even a Motroni family in Ardrossan but I see the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald BDM Database records a Motroni girl being born at an unspecified number in Glasgow Street on 19/2/60. However, there are also entries for the Da Prato family at 67 Glasgow Street which cannot be a kick in the pants away from the Central Cafe? Maybe the two families are in-laws? And then again my judgement was maybe just coloured by the fact that Nadia Da Prato definitely served in the chip shop.