THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: THE CONTINENTAL CAFE, ARDROSSAN

Post by unicornheart »

Da Prato family had Central cafe Glasgow street, and did Matroni have chippy top of Glasgow street, down from Plazza
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Unicornheart,

That was Marroni's, usually called the "TOP MARRONI'S". The "BOTTOM MARRONI'S" was the Castle cafe opposite the Gospel Hall.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Rowanside
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Rowanside »

Was the Continental Cafe not part of the "Deep Sea" chippy at the bottom of Glasgow St ?
Poppy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poppy »

I remember going to the Central cafe on one Sunday in every month to collect the church collections from the Motroni's. Poppy
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

I already settled this one for you before, PT, when we were " walking " up Glasgow Street; the 1967 phone book has the cafe at 63 Glasgow Street down jointly as Motroni & Da Prato.

Susan
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

after i posted it i realized that one was a chip shop +(restaurant) and other was a cafe on other (like shops joined to-gether,) i worked in chip shop when i was young,and they were owned by in-laws matroni in cafe and da-prato on chip side, and top Glasgow street was maronis (memories) so you correct down south, i should have remembered.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Rowanside wrote:Was the Continental Cafe not part of the "Deep Sea" chippy at the bottom of Glasgow St ?

Two different places Rowanside the "Deep Sea" was owned by the Singleton's Continental Cafe was further up the street and was run by Ezzy or Izzy.
Romez
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Romez »

That would be Ezzi. Mrs Ezzi died in 1960 as far as I know. The buisness would have been sold on.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

Ezzie cafe was always known as a place `the ladies of the night`would frequent whenever a ship docked in the harbour.

Eugenes cafe wasn`t it called the Windsor Cafe. If memory serves me right he also had a fish and chip bar next to the cafe section. Macdonalds the stationers next to Murchies shops bought the fish bar and turned it into a Sports Shop. I believe his daughter ran it.
Frank Brand.
Romez
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Romez »

Mrs Ezzi was well educated and could speak several languages,including Russian. Russian sailors, amoungst others, would frequent her cafe to hear their mother tongue drink russian tea or coffee.
This would certainly attract certain "Buisness ladies" which would have caused not a little comment and or consternation amoungst the locals and would be "tolerated" rather than encouraged. As long as they spent money in the cafe!
The photographs I have of her show her of a stern matronly appearance and a demeanor that suggests she was brought up to expect much more out of life.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

was there not a café by the name of the Mecca café in Ardrossan I think it might have been the café that old Ezzy worked in that it belonged to old Aldo Agostini of the castle hill vaults my dad always called it
emmersons and that is when old Aldo owned it my dad was a regular in Aldo's in the 1950's.
regards Harry.
Romez
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Romez »

Mrs Ezzi had the Cafe from before the war. She owned Land and Properties surrounding it too. The Cafe was reduced in size during the War as part of it was requisitioned by the Food Office. It was returned in poor condition though and not used as a business premises thereafter. The Cafe and Land was sold off to the council during Mrs Ezzi's illness although the Cafe remained derelict for some years in the sixties.
I remember being there as a child.