Recollections - Ross's Dairy Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recollections - Ross's Dairy Ardrossan

Post by Hughie »

Elizabeth has kindly given me permission to publish the above recollections on threetowners.com. You'll find it here : http://threetowners.com/recollections/
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

hi all i was brought up in new england road and jimmy withers and his wife stayed in border cottage, we used to go along by the salvation army hut and watch the hens over the wall,they had lots of hens and b4 i went to school in the morning i would help jimmy an his wife deliver milk in the new england scheme,thing i remember most about his wife was she always wore mittens when she delivered the milk.
Brvhrtjimmy (James Barr)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Jimmy,
Funny the things that stick in your mind. Around 1954, there always seemed to be a big black Ford V8 Pilot sedan sitting on the private? road at the entrance to the dairy's courtyard. At that time there were few cars in the district never mind cars of that size - can't remember seeing it anywhere else but there - often wondered who it belonged to.

We'd often take a short cut through there and down Hunter Avenue to the Saltcoats swimming pool.
linda stevenson
Settling In
Settling In

Post by linda stevenson »

//perfect hughie THANKS FOR SHARING !!!
Hughie wrote:Ross’s Dairy in Parkhouse Road Ardrossan stood on the site where until a few years ago the High Tide pub stood. Those from Saltcoats and Stevenston who are old enough will remember the building if they used the High Road going into Ardrossan - it was on the left and perhaps a quarter of a mile beyond Ardrossan Academy.

The dairy had that classic farmhouse look about it, including whitewashed walls and a large courtyard. I can’t recall any other entrance to it other than via its own road off Parkhouse Road where you could then enter the courtyard. Anyone know the original name of the farm?

The dairy’s horses were kept in a field behind the Parkhouse Road houses. The field ran all the way down to Ardrossan Academy at the Stanley Burn or as the locals called it the Galloway Burn. The other boundary to the “cuddy park” was the fence at the Caledonian railway.

When I was around eight years old we little boys used to help deliver the milk from Ross’s Dairy, the milk cart was not unlike a stagecoach to my way of thinking as the driver sat up high. The driver’s name was Jimmy Withers, Jimmy’s trusty steed was a big white horse named Dougald. It was very sad when Dougald died – he was a great favourite in the town.

My dad used to buy the occasional sack of corn from the dairy for his chickens, and I also remember him getting hayseed from there to use as lawn seed - this was probably the sweepings from what was left over after the horses hay was cleared out.

Can anyone add to this topic, or perhaps raise another recollection on what's gone before.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

The remnants of Ross's Dairy were still visible in 2004 just before the High Tide Hotel was demolished on 8 June.

The white buildings in the photo below of the back of the High Tide Hotel are parts of Ross's Dairy.

The front of the hotel and Dairymead Place which was built on the site of the hotel are shown below.

George
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

Hi Hugh, I was just about to reply when i seen my story about Ross dairies when i was lizal, I can still see the courtyard and the great big fridge that the milk was stored? Happy days I can even remember the route! I done it that long :D
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

It is funny how many school kids worked on the milk before school I was one and it was with
Jimmy withers and his wife can just remember the horse and cart but it was a electric float when I was doing it,I remember I used to Finnish on Aughenharvie road as I went to Aughenharvie because killshil was burn,t down they had a Green Morris clubman not many cars about then really great couple was very good to me made me play piece for Scholl and always got a knighted jumper for birthday and Xmas,it was Mrs withers that made my mind up to follow my dream in Army was working for coal man delivering to her wee house and she looked at me and said Ian you can do better go and follow your dream of being a soldier you always told us you would,when you were a wee boy never looked back after that and kept in touch for a while.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Mrs.Withers came from N.I County Tyrone.I met her in xhouse hospital once.I did not recognise her but I could hear a touch of irish accent,she had no visitors at her bed so I started talking to her.She told me about the milk run and then I remembered who she was.I asked her where she came from originally and she could not remember,she knew it was Tyrone some where near Strabane.I said would it be Omagh she said no but she thought it was near there,then I said how about Sion Mills.Thats it she said,it was a long time ago.she died a couple of weeks after that,god rest her.

Last bumped by Hughie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 am.