The Plug Dropper - Ardrossan Steam Engine Days

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: The Plug Dropper - Ardrossan Steam Engine Days

Post by johndo »

I can remember that wee yellow loco great to see it has been saved, don't remember seeing the diesel loco
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I remember watching from the Montgomerie Street bridge the wee pug shunting in the Shell Mex - our neighbour from Whitlees Crescent, Mr Bates was the driver.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

johndo wrote:I can remember that wee yellow loco great to see it has been saved, don't remember seeing the diesel loco
the diesel wasnt regarded as a success, it was only used while the fireless was needing an overhaul, shell decided that as the power source for the fireless (steam strangely enough) was a by product of the bitumen refining they would use that as it was basically free fuel. the fireless went back home to andrew barclay in kilmarnock for an overhaul and the fowler diesel went to another refinery
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

its a pity the restoration did not keep it yellow
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

[quote="

if a fireman dropped a plug by failing to keep the correct water level in the boiler it was almost a hanging offence in railway terms[/quote]

And so it should be - it could be dangerous. Here in South Australia a few years back one of our great streamline 520 class locos (one of the most successful engines ever built anywhere), running on one of our preserved railways, dropped a plug. The resultant steam scalded one of the three people on the footplate so badly he died. Re the fireless loco "pug" was a generic nickname applied to small four wheeled steam locos - usually employed on docks, coal mines, factories and steel works. Incidentally one of the most successful and prolific builders of the coal fired pugs was Andrew Barclay in Kilmarnock! Wee Ali
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

the shell pug is a barclay loco, surprising amount of barclay locomotives survive in preservation, a lot of the 040 pugs but also the 060 not to mention barclay built industrial diesels
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Our much missed member BobbyDarg worked there along with my cousin and Mitchy's favourite uncle Hugh Gordon.

Meg