ICI Explosion 1939

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

ICI Explosion 1939

Post by Hughie »

This was sent to me some years ago by Dick Maxwell of Stevenston". It's a partial list of those who died when the "Queen Anne Stoves"exploded in Ardeer Factory on the 28th September 1939. No doubt there would have been a full account of the explosion published in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald at the time.

Alexander Allen. age 23.
James Bain. Smith Cres Kilwinning.
John Cook. Barr Place Ardrossan.
Malcolm Grier. Springvale Street Saltcoats.
John Houston. Glebe st Stevenston.
John Maxwell. Hayocks Rd Stevenston.
Hugh Mclelland. High Rd Saltcoats.
Daniel Ottey. Kilmahew St Ardrossan.
Samuel Paton. Broomfield Stevenston.
William Reid. Paisley St Ardrossan

A good read: Helen Ritchie's account of Ardeer Factory during WW2: WW2 People's War
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: ICI Explosion 1939

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

I'll explain how in a separate post but today I got a copy of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald's "full account" of this incident. Quite clearly there was a war-time embargo on the amount of detail which could be released.

In their issue of 29 September 1939, the day following the explosion, the following appeared.

15 KILLED - 4 INJURED
EXPLOSION IN A NORTHERN EXPLOSIVES FACTORY

The Ministry of Information announced last night that an explosion took place yesterday in a northern explosives factory. The loss of life, so far as can be ascertained, is 15. Four persons were injured.

The damage will not seriously interfere with production.

On 6 October 1939 the following update appeared.

FACTORY EXPLOSION
DEATH ROLL NOW TWENTY-ONE

The deaths resulting from the explosion last Thursday in a northern factory number twenty-one.

The names of the dead are A Allan, D Oty, G Brown, D Clasper, J Cook, M Greer, J Houston, J Keast, T Morris, J Maxwell, H McLellan, P Orr, S Paton, W Phillips, W Reid, J Rafferty, A Wright, J Bains, S Norwood, J Gibson and W McKean.

The last named, who was conveyed to hospital, died there on Sunday. Five injured men are in hospital.

I don't know whether or not the latter five men survived or succumbed to their injuries.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
MarkBain
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: ICI Explosion 1939

Post by MarkBain »

My Grandfather was James Robertson Bain. It was his first week at ICI. He was 57. He wanted to do something to help the war effort. He was a piper in WW1 and saw service at Ypres. I have his WW1 kilt and bayonet. He died in that explosion. The family were not allowed to view the body. My dad was 9 when his dad died. Thanks to all on this board for the continued remembrance.