Jack's Place, Stanley Hotel

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Jack's Place, Stanley Hotel

Post by Penny Tray »

Mike,

Thanks for the photo. I've been in that house, private chapel and all if I remember right, and it's a pity to see it sitting there all boarded up. :(
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

While we're dining out in the Saltcoats of the 1970s, here's a Stanley Hotel advertisement from 1973 to compare with the Kaybar's offering. 50p had only just ceased being ten shillings, which sounds a bit less silly as the price of a meal.
Stanley Hotel menu 1973.jpg
Then afterwards you could relax in the Clan Lounge, though properly speaking that didn't open until December 1974 :
Clan lounge advert 1974.jpg
But you might need to wear a pair of dark glasses; it was decorated throughout in Macpherson Tartan....
Clan Lounge.jpg
Clan Lounge.jpg (10.64 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

Susan
shirlb
Settling In
Settling In

Post by shirlb »

I've just found this website by Googling my own name - Shirley Seabury! Mum and Dad sold the Stanley to Mr Franklin in 1984 and retired to Caledonia Road. It saddened them to see the hotel slide in to disrepair and I think we were all relieved to see it finally put out of its misery and flattened.
I have fond memories of growing up in Saltcoats, the hotel, Ardrossan Academy, St Cuthbert's Church, fishing for sticklebacks in the Galloway Burn, Ardrossan Accies Rugby Club, dancing in the Ingledene and the Kilmeny. Happy days! :D
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Hello Shirley; welcome to Threetowners. Sure you'll find plenty to connect to here; you'll probably already have noticed a couple of your old classmates posting in this topic.

Hope your parents are still well and enjoying their retirement up at Largs. They went into the hotel venture with such great optimism and enthusiasm as I remember, it must certainly have been very disppointing for them to see the sad end their cherished enterprise came to.

Susan
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'm not sure when, 80's or 90's, but I think it was every Sunday afternoon there was a really good blues singer in the lounge. Does anyone remember? She was excellent.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
phands
Settling In
Settling In

Post by phands »

shirlb wrote:I've just found this website by Googling my own name - Shirley Seabury! Mum and Dad sold the Stanley to Mr Franklin in 1984 and retired to Caledonia Road. It saddened them to see the hotel slide in to disrepair and I think we were all relieved to see it finally put out of its misery and flattened.
I have fond memories of growing up in Saltcoats, the hotel, Ardrossan Academy, St Cuthbert's Church, fishing for sticklebacks in the Galloway Burn, Ardrossan Accies Rugby Club, dancing in the Ingledene and the Kilmeny. Happy days! :D

Welcome Shirley!

I grew up in Caledonia Road, and the Stanley was my local, just a short walk down Stanley Place, and over the railway bridge to the Stanley. Then it was the Lauriston, to go and get shouted at by Agnes and Liz Lawson for sitting too far up the stairs, as well as the Ingledene and the Kilmeny, trying to meet girls at the dancin'.

Paul
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jings, plus ca change! Except for the Kilmenny, rarely went there! The Red Herring was the place to go in the '60's, folk group, nice relaxed atmosphere. On a visit back went to the Stanley and ordered a G/T at the bar. The bartender was a friend, schoolmate. Up came the glass with gin and a small bottle of tonic,as I stood there probably looking perplexed, she asked - what? Ice? I said. Got one cube...she shrugged and handed the ice over..help yourself! lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Dbfullarton
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Dbfullarton »

Hi Shirley,
I have fond memories of the Stanley Hotel. It was well within "staggering distance" of my house in Montgomerie Cresc

Found this website after looking at google maps and noticed that the north end of Montgomerie Crescent appears to be Burn Road. Did I spend half my life not spotting this?

Regards,
David Fullarton