Anglo Continental Container Services (Containerway)

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Anglo Continental Container Services (Containerway)

Post by jane »

I notice the first mention in the herald this week of Anglo Continental Containerway Services and there ship going from Ardrossan to Larne in 1956. My father Jim Ramsay was the manager in Ardrossan then. I can remember my father starting his new job and going down to see the depot being built, of course it is now demolished and the last time I was up, there was just an empty space opposite the police station which was all boarded up. They shipped many things over there. I remember many of the firms my dad dealt with - Robertson's Jam, Gourock Ropes, Pork Pies from a company in Dyce (the name escapes me), fresh eggs (we used to get a few, i can remember getting loads of double yokes, that would not happen these days), magazines from Thompsons (we used to get a free pack of all the childrens comics each Friday - Beano, Dandy, Bunty, Judy, Beezer etc.,) and many more.

Has anyone got memories of working there or in the harbour dealing with the ships coming and going?
jane
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Anglo Continental Container Services (Containerway)

Post by Mac »

jane wrote:They shipped many things over there. I remember many of the firms my dad dealt with - Robertson's Jam, Gourock Ropes, Pork Pies from a company in Dyce (the name escapes me) .......
I'm sure the name that escapes you is "Lawson's of Dyce" who made the most wonderful pork pies! Unfortunately they went out of business in the late 70's :cry:
David Young
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by David Young »

I remember when I left school in 1955 I got a job for the summer as a dock gate man. My Boss was Captain Brock and the head dock gate man was Harry Mc Cracken.
I had to control the flow of ship traffic in and out of the harbour and open and shut the dock gates in conjunction with the tides.
One day I was opening the foot bridge and I heard a shout. A man was hanging fron the bridge over the water but all was well. He didn't fall in.
Funnily enough I didn't get the sack. I was only 18 at the time.
It was a very busy harbour in those days.
David Young.
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

David Young wrote: One day I was opening the foot bridge and I heard a shout. A man was hanging fron the bridge over the water but all was well. He didn't fall in.
Funnily enough I didn't get the sack. I was only 18 at the time.
It was a very busy harbour in those days.
David Young.
I know we shouldn't laugh but ... :lol: can't help it
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

Thanks Hugh

Yes is was Lawsons of Dyce. Of course my father used to go and see all these business people and at Christmas there would be the little gifts handed out by them. Selections of pies and all their range of goods, very tasty! He also used to come back with pens, badges and all the advertising bits and bobs from Robertsons jam, all with the golliwogs on them. Such a shame they don't use the golliwog now.

Captain Connel worked in the harbour at that time, he was my mother's cousins husband. I do remember the name Captain Brock as well.

There was the gate which was lifted up so the ship could come into the inside harbour, where all the yachts are now.

There was also the pilot boat which used to go and bring the tankers and big boats in. That was a dangerous job wasnt it?
jane
darashdi
New Poster
New Poster

Post by darashdi »

hi Jane,i used to work for the shipping company that shipped the containers and Captain Connell was my boss .Im not sure if your dad was still there then ,I worked there for two years in 1966 '67 before leaving to go to the Nylon plant .

Many happy memories especially tasting what was left in the Harp lager bulk containers ,

Dave White in Perth Australia.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

my dad was there until 1966/67 when he moved with Containerway down to London to be their European manager. There was a Mr Parker in the office on the right as you went into the yard, maybe you remember him.

Captain Connell was like an uncle to me and my brother and sisters. His wife was a primary teacher in the academy and they had one daughter Mary. He did like his tipple as I am sure you know!

The harbour seems very empty up there now, just small boats and yachts. I can remember all the cranes. I have a few pictures of the way things were, if you are interested.
jane
darashdi
New Poster
New Poster

Post by darashdi »

Yes i remember Captain Connell and his fondness for a wee tipple very well .He was a good boss all the same left us very much to ourselves .

That would be good if you like to send some pictures, our e.mail address is dwhite47@iprimus.com.au.

Thanks

Dave.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The following photo shows the preparation of the ACCS site in 1957 but what then is the street in the background?

Is it Harbour Place?

And those of you with a particular interest in ACCS might be interested in the set of 12 photos adjacent which include staff photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70915058@N00/4171529070" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

The view is looking at the yard from the direction of the police station, with Harbour Place to the left, I think there was a road to the top of it leading through to Princes Street. I can remember my father visiting the yard as they were just starting to build the warehouse. There was a office at the front just as you went intothe yard, this was where all the keys were kept as the containers came in, then they were taken into the warehouse. My father had a lovely alsation called "Flash", he guarded the warehouse, noone could get in there once it was locked up for the night!! The pictures of the office staff were ones which I had. There was also the main 2 story office half way along the warehouse on the left hand side and a couple of big cranes to lift the containers off the lorries.
jane
yertonbrae

Post by yertonbrae »

Jane wrote: " My father Jim Ramsay was the manager in Ardrossan then"

Relating to ACCS/Containerway.
My father worked there for 18 years and Jim Ramsay was his boss! He remembers Jane when she was a wee girl! my dad 'Bill Meek' was in the office and Jim was a good friend that got him the job.
Also, we just put in Containerway Adrossan and up came some photos by Viking and my dads face was right there when he was only 33 in 1966. It was really weird looking at this photo for a second before realising that it was my dad as a young man. I hope Jane is still active as my dad is really keen to find out about his old boss Jim. We are not too computer savy so hope we can get an answer back and find it AOK. Cheers Susan
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Susan - Jane's last visit was January this year - you might be better emailing her. You can do this by clicking on the envelope icon beneath her name above.

Warm welcome to the the three towners.

Regards
Meg