A recollection of Ardrossan Harbour

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

A recollection of Ardrossan Harbour

Post by Penny Tray »

Those of us of a certain age will know exactly what is happening here: -

https://i1.wp.com/www.dalmadan.com/wp-c ... .jpg?ssl=1
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A recollection of Ardrossan Harbour

Post by Meg »

I loved walking up the gangplank onto the glen sannox - if I shut my eyes I can remember the smells and the noises. Hope we can get to Arran this summer - having withdrawal symptoms.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

In that photo, on the left was the usual berth for the lairds Isle - in the 1950s on Glasgow Fair Friday the place would be jumping. In addition to extra sailings to Belfast, on the right in the photo was where extra sailings by Isle of Man steamers started from, they too would be loading Glaswegians though for Douglas on the isle of Man.

Further along the dock to the left of where the boys are playing on the gangplank was where the Lairds Wood, a cargo vessel always berthed - it went between Ardrossan and Belfast. The harbour was one of our boyhood playgrounds along with the North Shore and the countryside. At the harbour if we weren't digging at the tanker berth for rag-worms for bait, we'd be fishing at the light house or carrying cases for holidaymakers for a bob or two.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Penny Tray wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:09 pm Those of us of a certain age will know exactly what is happening here: -

https://i1.wp.com/www.dalmadan.com/wp-c ... .jpg?ssl=1
What date would this photo be from roughly?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I'm thinking circa 1920, simply because G. &. J. Burns, whose company name appears on the gangway, were apparently taken over in 1920. This is not to say that their gangways wouldn't continue to be used around the harbour for some time afterwards.

Incidentally, I see that Meg and Hughie offer personal recollections of the harbour. I was simply wondering if anyone else, like myself and the boys in the photograph, had spent many a happy hour using the gangways, which were supported on two centrally positioned wheels, as a see-saws.

I first saw the photograph on the following site, which includes other interesting shots of the harbour: -

https://www.dalmadan.com/?p=5025
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.