Prehistorical Man on the Stevenston Sand-Hill

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Prehistorical Man on the Stevenston Sand-Hill

Post by Hughie »

Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald
October 19, 1894

Prehistorical Man on the Stevenston Sand-Hill BY "J. D." IRVINE.
We have received the following interesting note from "J. D." of Irvine, whose patient investigation has brought to light many curious facts relating to the life of prehistoric man on the belt of sand lying between Shewalton and Stevenston:

Recently on going over the sandhills of Stevenston I discovered in one locality a great many fragments of urns, and on looking over the place I found it to be to all appearance the ancient site of a cremation cemetery. The fragments are composed of very coarse material, and are thick lipped. They are entirely devoid of Ornament. I found fragments of seven urns all on one spot. Two of the urns are different from the others. They had small holes of an inch in diameter, and an inch-and-half apart, at a distance of 3/4 a inch below the lips. There perforated urns were evidently made for suspension, and it is supposed that they are of the earliest description of cooking vessels manufactured by native skill.

Near the end of the mound the remains of the last fire used is still there. The most interesting find, however, was a small flint knife having the sharp edge formed by chipping from both faces in the same manner as edges of the arrow head were shaped. On further examination I found a bronze stud inch broad and very thin, a bronze arrow head, two buttons, one copper the other bronze, some pieces of rings of cannel coal, one glass bead, and half of another. They are 1/2 inch broad and 1/4 inch thick, of a greenish blue colour, and must have been imported into this country at a very early period. The ashes and charcoal of wood might be gathered in handfuls, and the whole surface of the mound is more or less strewn with minute particles of charcoal. The fragments of the bones were perfectly white and broken in very small pieces. I find that the stone, bronze, and iron ages are well represented on Stevenston Sand hills.