old pics

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
danae
New Poster
New Poster

old pics

Post by danae »

Hi I live in Parkend Avenue just off Canal Street,. on the corner opposite where Kyleshill School was... can anyone tell me anything about the old house there on the corner... on the deeds it is called Kyleshill House... cannot find any old photos of it either .. many thanks
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: old pics

Post by Hughie »

danae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:15 pm Parkend Avenue just off Canal Street,. on the corner opposite where Kyleshill School was... can anyone tell me anything about the old house there on the corner.
Could you be referring to the house at 3 Canal Street? It is opposite the entrance to Parkend Avenue though further down from where Kyleshill School was. Have a look at this very interesting earlier topic - there are photos on page three.
danae
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danae »

Hi there... that house is actually opposite mine Parkend Avenue only has two houses one is a grand Victorian era house and the other looks to be 1800s early ? which is where I live.. seems to have been built as a boarding house or Inn possibly .. lots of outbuildings in the back ... according to the deeds was Kyleshill House and was across the road fro the school... thanks for the info anyways x
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Danae,

Is the gable end of your house shown in the following link?: -

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0574?se ... _fuzzy=yes
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
danae
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danae »

HA YES that's it... how do I watch the film ??????? thanks so so much !
danae
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danae »

I watched it thank you so much... the road seems to be very different... and quite a few buildings GONE !! would love to see more pics.. but thanks again ... Dana x
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

danae wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 am Hi there... that house is actually opposite mine Parkend Avenue only has two houses one is a grand Victorian era house and the other looks to be 1800s early ? which is where I live.. seems to have been built as a boarding house or Inn possibly .. lots of outbuildings in the back ... according to the deeds was Kyleshill House and was across the road fro the school... thanks for the info anyways x
Hi Dana

I used to know a Greg Dickie who lived in one of the older houses in Parkend Avenue. It’s been many years since I saw him, he was a joiner as well as an avid fisherman back in the day.

The house across from you was indeed a boarding house in a past life, I recall it being featured in a news article recently with all the storms, maybe last year, the current owners were in the news feature taking about how a collapsed out building helped to halt water ingress into their house/flat.

When the old concrete bridge was at the gable end of the shore side Canal Street block of flats and shops there was a bit more distance and privacy for the residents of what used to be known as Craigmhor.
danae
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danae »

yeah.. I have often wondered how they get along in the storms in that house across the way.. we get pretty blasted here !! .... seems a shame that there is little uptake on the shops on Canal Street.. because it attracts a fair amount of passing trade from the Sandylands visitors.... I have only lived in Saltcoats a few years ,moved here from Aberdeen.. but I love the beach and the place generally... it could be regenerated to be quite a place with enough interest.. pandemics being put to rest that is !!!
danae
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danae »

Some pics of Harbour bay ...
Attachments
Harbour Bay
Harbour Bay
Saltcoats Harbour
Saltcoats Harbour