Three Towns - In Reminiscent Mood

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Three Towns - In Reminiscent Mood

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
December 30, 1949

In Reminiscent Mood

At this time of the year members of the older generation are prone to think back to former years. In order to let readers share some of these
reminiscenses, a "Herald and Gazette reporter interviewed some of the old folks. Here is a selection from the comments he received:

Willie ("Spoutie") Gibb, though in his 85th year may be seen daily as he makes his way from his home at 21 Esplanade Cottages, Saltcoats, on his shopping expeditions. A widower, Willie attends to his own needs and manages along fine on his 26s plus supplementary pension. He recalls starting work coal-mining at the No. 2 workings - now the site of the burgh refuse coup. He was twelve years old then and got Is 7d for a shift lasting from from early morning till 7 o'clock at night; daylight was something he never saw during the winter months. No wonder he says the miners of today are all right. "Wages were sma' then" he says "but we lived well enough. It was rough, homely feeding, maistly parritch, tatties wi their jackets on and saut herin of the younger generation of today. Willie says, "I don't know whit tae think of them." But he wishes them and every one else good health to enjoy what's coming to them in 1950.

71-year-old Mrs Mary Hackett who resides at 15 Kirkhall Drive Ardrossan, has bitter recollections of the past-though they are not untinged with humour. "The worst I could wish onybody," she says, "is a return tae the 'good auld days'." She has vivid memories of the struggle for existence in her young days. Her father, Ned Markle, was a craneman at the Newry boat berth at the harbour, and she recounts how her brother was sent from the "Row to watch the trains passing along the line to the docks. By the number of waggons destined for the Newry Berth, Mrs Markle could accurately compute the amount of wages to be earned by her man that day. Mrs Hackett recalls with a smile her courtin' days and how once she was rowed by her "intended to Horse Island. There she lost the heel from one of her shoes and modest Miss of that day-she had to wait till dark descended before returning home. Now, with her sixteen 'weans' grown up she says, "I'm quite happy wl' my pension. When I sit and think of it, I sometimes wonder how we managed to exist."

Tom Hamilton of Kerlaw Avenue, Stevenston, declines to state his age-then in the next breath goes "back to 1890, or even farther back, when Stevenston was a very small place comprised of only four streets Boglemart, Townhead, New Street and Schoolwell." The people residing there at that time had little pleasure in life according to Tom. 'Work, sleep and eat seemed to be their lot," he says, "with nothing to do at the end of a week's work but sit at the fireside, stand at the corner of the street, or go into a pub." Despite the rough streets of that time (pavements were unknown) it was the common thing for kiddies to walk to school bare-footed.. . "Aye. times were hard." says Tom, "I often think that all the Stevenston mothers of those days should have been presented with a Victoria Cross. "But Stevenston has been put on the map," he goes on, "in many various ways, among them the expansion of the LC.I. factory and the growth of the Trade Union movement." The motto of the rising generation, according to Tom, should be, "What was good enough for my father is not good enough for me." He gives credit to local councillors, past and present, for the changes that have taken place, and concludes wit the challenge-"But it is we, the people of Stevenston, who must encourage our councillors to ensure that in the future Stevenston will be kept on the map."
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Three Towns - In Reminiscent Mood

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:25 am Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
December 30, 1949

In Reminiscent Mood

At this time of the year members of the older generation are prone to think back to former years. In order to let readers share some of these
reminiscenses, a "Herald and Gazette reporter interviewed some of the old folks. Here is a selection from the comments he received:

71-year-old Mrs Mary Hackett who resides at 15 Kirkhall Drive Ardrossan, has bitter recollections of the past-though they are not untinged with humour. "The worst I could wish onybody," she says, "is a return tae the 'good auld days'." She has vivid memories of the struggle for existence in her young days. Her father, Ned Markle, was a craneman at the Newry boat berth at the harbour, and she recounts how her brother was sent from the "Row to watch the trains passing along the line to the docks. By the number of waggons destined for the Newry Berth, Mrs Markle could accurately compute the amount of wages to be earned by her man that day. Mrs Hackett recalls with a smile her courtin' days and how once she was rowed by her "intended to Horse Island. There she lost the heel from one of her shoes and modest Miss of that day-she had to wait till dark descended before returning home. Now, with her sixteen 'weans' grown up she says, "I'm quite happy wl' my pension. When I sit and think of it, I sometimes wonder how we managed to exist."

Horse Island sounds an interesting place to me.. :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Three Towns - In Reminiscent Mood

Post by Hughie »

Sent that to my old class mate, he got back to me to tell me that was his granny, that address is on his birth certificate where he was born. The name of Kirkhall Drive was changed to something like Parkview some years ago. Horse Island? here's a topic on it.