Prominent Local People

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Prominent Local People

Post by madge »

Penny Tray

I think it was where the car showroom is now, which certainly would be near to Kyleshill School.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Sam certainly thought it was at the site of McMaster Motors, when we discussed this before :

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 88#p110088

Here's a Google Streetview of the place : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.63383 ... 312!8i6656

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette
Dec 21, 1945

James Forde, J.P.

The success of Mr James Forde at the recent Stevenston election did not surprise those who knew him for he is a popular man. He had strong opposition and many didn't think his chances good, but he won through. Has done a lot of good since taking an interest in public affairs.

As an engine-driver he has all the rules at his finger tips and has fought many a battle for his fellow-worker. His silent work for widows and soldiers wives no doubt brought him more quickly! into the public eye. Strong in debate and a great believer in right is right and he stands by that, but makes others do likewise. A fine speaker and, one who remains cool, doesn't drift from the point at issue and, always careful to strengthen his case with figures. A well-liked person and one who will be an asset to the County Council.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Another one of Ardrossan’s engine sheds political protégés
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

April 2, 1943

Ex-Provost Gaul

Mr Gaul a retired schoolmaster, had a quick rise as a public man. From the day be entered the Saltcoats Town Council it was quite evident that he would prove an asset to the burgh as his knowledge of municipal affairs gave him the power to speak with confidence on all subjects concerning it. But it was provost of the town that he became best known, and while his ruling at times did not meet with the approval of certain councillors, still, he was always strong enough to stand by his own ruling and see that others did likewise.

His strong debating powers made him the most discussed man in the town, but he never weakened under criticism, in fact he was so cool and collected that he could debate the most important subjects with calm. His term of office as chief magistrate gave him the opportunity to investigate all matters concerning the town, and he certainly worked hard during his term in the chair to do all in his power for the burgh of Saltcoats and he, at all times, upheld that dignity which the public expect from the provost
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

January 25, 1946

Robert Park

Mr Robert Park has been for many years a noted business man in the town of Stevenston. For years he took a prominent part in the old Ardeer Thistle. Bob as he is best known has always been a popular man for he has little to say and always minds his own affairs. But either in company or in committee he has the happy knack of saying what he thinks at the right time,

Has done much good work in the quiet way and although not taking part in town affairs has proved a friend to many. Mr Park was also a keen bowler, but always attending to business first and that no doubt is why he has been a successful business man. He would have made a very successful councillor. Although like many more business, men in the town not taking part in public affairs, he never forgets to play his part when charity or a deserving cause is brought to his notice.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

Hi Hugh, this Mr Park was not part of my immediate family. My Parks were miners and Factory workers. Perhaps he was part of the Parks who owned the bakery in Stevenston. Having said that, we may have been related way back.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

My grampa, also Robert Park was the greenkeeper at the Rec bowling green for many years. He p, at one time, made it to the finals of the Scottish bowling competition, but was beaten by a Doctor. I think he was the first working-class man to make it to the finals. My brother still has his bowling balls. With the help of others and my DNA, I have been able to trace my Park family back to the early 1800’s.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

January 25, 1946

Stanley Brown

Kilwinning has been fixed as the place where the Cement Company have decided to expand their business. And we learn that their new works manager, Mr S. Brown, has a wide experience and will through time make this work one of the main sources of employment in Kilwinning. Much has still to be done, we learn, before a number of more men will be taken on. They have ideas to make Kilwinning one of the main cement works in the West of Scotland, as they make almost everything from drainage pipes to street lamp standards. But will through time make almost everything that cement can make, and Mr Brown, who comes from South of the border, has a wide experience in all classes of work. A very jolly type of business man who knows a day's work and looks to the comfort of his men. Although only a few months in charge he has become known throughout a large area in Scotland. His progress will be watched by all.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Andrew Cruickshank, of very old Doctor Finlay vintage, talked about the Scottish diaspora effect in his Bedside Book of Scotland ... I moved to England as a young man, and when I worked for a company in London, I was asked to meet a man from their client, British Oxygen, who had come from Australia to take charge of a big UK project.
I recognised him instantly - his faither used to dance wi' ma mother at the Ardeer Rec on a Saturday night.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

March 29, 1946

Inspector Bremner

Police supervision seldom gets the consideration from the general public it deserves for it is they who keep law and order and prevent widespread attacks on peace-loving citizens and keep a watchful eye on our homes and business premises day and night.

Inspector Bremner is in charge of Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston stations, and it is his duty to see that each have all the requirements necessary to make a successful station. His experience has brought him reward for considering the large (s?)re, crime is reduced to a low ebb.

Most public men get credit for duty done, but somehow the police are seldom brought into line when it comes to praise. They have a job to do and in doing it make few friends because when they act they do so as it is their duty. In the three towns we have had many trying times, but always brought to a successful end.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

January 7, 1944

J. B. Scotland

No man ever did so much for all classes than J. B. Scotland, retired schoolmaster. As a teacher at Ardrossan Eglinton and Academy then as headmaster of Kyleshill School, Saltcoats. Mr Scotland is very much different from other prominent people, for he can play any part and at any time with success. Had a very successful career as a teacher, and no one of the teaching profession is better known throughout the West of Scotland.

A Clever entertainer and splendid organiser. Has taught hundreds apart from his teaching profession in dramatic plays, and has raised large sums of money for charity by his efforts. Many a concert would have been a failure if it hadn't been for the ability of Mr Scotland, for he could fill the part as an entertainer. As a Masonic man he has held many positions with success not only to himself but also the lodge. Although now retired, he gets around, and is as keen to-day to assist in the cause of charity as he was forty years ago.

Here's a link to an earlier post by Susan, (Down South), featuring the retirement of J.B. Scotland's daughter - she was the Librarian at Saltcoats till 1973.