Can Factory - Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Can Factory - Ardrossan

Post by Hughie »

Ayrshire Gazette
September 27, 1946

Penicillin Plant To Start Soon

All machinery from the Can Factory in Inches Road, Ardrossan is to be removed by this weekend to make way for the penicillin plant to be operated there by the Heydon Chemical Corporation of New York. Late night shifts have been worked to get everything cleared out. After darkness workmen were at disadvantage as the supply of electricity had been cut off in order to get the machinery dismantled. The machinery belonged to the shell Refineries and Marketing Company Limited who used the factory formerly for the manufacture of Jerrycans. Most of the machInes were sold to a Glasgow firm.

Tenders for Water, Light.
Anticipating an early start in penicillin production, the Heyden Corporation has been asking local public utility services for supplies of water, electricity and other materials necessary for the production. As far as the Town Council is concerned, estimates will be obtained from other water undertakings with comparable consumpts(?) and the figure to be quoted to the American firm will be based on the information thus received.

Short Stay
It was in May of this year that the first Announcement came that the American firm intended to set up the penicillin plant here in Ardrossan and the announcement was followed by the arrival of executives from the United States. After a short stay here they returned to London and entered into negotiations there. At the moment, it is understood that representative of the Shell Company is making the necessary Inquiries on behalf of the Heydon Corporation.

No indication is at present available when the plant will go into operation.

Previously mentioned in an earlier post by George Ardrossan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Can Factory - Ardrossan

Post by meekan »

Did the plant ever happen and if so how long was it in production? I stayed across the street from inches road and I can recall conversations about the can factory but never about a medicinal chemical factory on the site.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Angus,
Had a quick look and found the following.
1 - Daily Record. December 1944
2 - The press Journal. (Aberdeen) February 1946
3 - Kilmarnock Herald. March 1947
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Do I feel the heavy hand of ICI hovering over this topic ??? :evil:

jd.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

My brother had an infection in his leg that was in danger of ending his life. That was I believe in the mid forties, and it was the new drug penicillin that saved his leg and his young life. A wonder drug.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

When I was twelve I got my tonsils out at Seafield Hospital in Ayr. I have a faint recollection of being given the customary ice-cream followed by chewing gum - Penicillin chewing gum. :)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Kilmarnock Herald
November 24, 1950

The former Air Ministry Can Factory over at the Inches has been exercising the minds of the local councillors again following on the intimation of the fact that the project for the establishment of a herring cannery on the premises has been abandoned. The council have decided to take up the matter once more with the Scottish Council Development and Industry and, at the same time, to contact the appropriate Government department with the aim of bringing the factory buildings into commission again.

The council have also been expressing perturbation at the continued lack of new work at the local dockyard. The fact that local shipbuilding workers are being scattered all over the country was drawn to the attention of the council by Police-Judge Lindsay. It has been decided that the council should meet representatives of the local Trades Council who are interested parties. When they meet on the question of the Can Factory it is on the cards that the question of the dockyard might also be discussed.