Britain from Above

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Britain from Above

Post by Penny Tray »

It's a long time since I last looked at BRITAIN FROM ABOVE but I see the site now has a zoom-in facility for those who have registered. This makes local photographs or any other location you might care to look at much more interesting.

I've been looking today at a building on the Castle Hill, Ardrossan, adjacent to the castle itself; the old graveyard on the Castle Hill with a fence round it; the Winton Rovers football pitch a right-angles to how it lies today; and after years of searching I've found a photograph where I can identify the house in Barr Place where I was born.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Britain from Above

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:34 pmI've been looking today at a building on the Castle Hill, Ardrossan, adjacent to the castle itself;
Been a while since I had a look at "Britain from above" too Penny. Brilliant, the zoom feature makes all the difference.
Putting SPW056865 into the search box of the site mentioned in Penny's post above will show the image in question.

We've spoke about this over the years and I seem to be the only one who recalls the building - See here for previous mentions.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Whilst not too clear, is Yuille's Foundry in that photo too?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:43 am Hughie, Whilst not too clear, is Yuille's Foundry in that photo too?
Penny, Yuille's Winton Foundry is in the following image: https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/SPW056867

On the left of the larger gasometre is the Ardrossan burgh destructor - see the large chimney. To the left of that again the dark building is the foundry and further to the left the single white cottage was the foundry office. In my time if you continued left in that direction on that unmade road, there was Felix Quinn's sawmill and from there to Dalry Road was Dan Craigs Piggery alongside the Ardrossan to Largs railway - the business that was the Metalic was across Dalry Road where that road ended.

To the right of the gasometers, all those structures were part of the gasworks. See the coal wagons being unloaded - that building looks exactly as it did when I was looking across from the sandy area at Eglinton school in the mid-fifties, but by then the multi-story gas works adjoined. Look below the lower gasometer and you'll see the shunting engine that delivered the coal wagons. It also delivered moulding sand etc to the foundry and timber to the sawmill in my day.

For those who haven't seen it there is a sketch of the foundry in the topic Ardrossan - Winton Foundry Workers
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie, I love the sketch of the foundry. It's just as I remember it when I visited every Friday with my father's Littlewoods coupon for Mr. Gus McDonald, who was the agent.