1937 Local Billiard Challenge

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

1937 Local Billiard Challenge

Post by Hughie »

From the Kilmarnock Herald February 27 1937.
uncle Joe.jpg
Been thinking that the M Taylor mentioned could be a relative of our member Sam Taylor? :think: Going by the address!
Joe Cunningham, was said by my dad to have helped our family through the depression with his billiard room hustling.
There's a story on Joe here
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: 1937 Local Billiard Challenge

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hughie,Matt Taylor was indeed my uncle,money wise he was backed by Dan Bonaldi who had the billiard hall in Windmill St.I'd like to know the result of that match? Matt went on to lift lines for Nellany,first in Factory Pl.on the street,then a shop in Raise St, then a shop at No1 Raise when they legalised it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Sam, I don't know what the result of that match was, but I'll see what I can find out. I do remember playing in both billiard halls mentioned as a youth with my Miller Road cousins - I've mentioned them in a couple of topics. This is one.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

wellparkno9 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:46 am Hughie,Matt Taylor was indeed my uncle,money wise he was backed by Dan Bonaldi who had the billiard hall in Windmill St.I'd like to know the result of that match? Matt went on to lift lines for Nellany,first in Factory Pl.on the street,then a shop in Raise St, then a shop at No1 Raise when they legalised it.
I remember Matts shop well Sam. It was the first time I placed a bet, great times :D I did not know him by name did he used to wear a Green tweed jacket around 75/76 he stood out for me.

For the record i did not know billiards was such a popular game many decades ago.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Sam,
Looks like it was the first of two matches, and as mentioned there was a great deal of interest as it was on the front page of the Kilmarnock Herald and Ayrshire Gazette, Saturday March 13th 1937

Billiards - Kilmarnock Herald Sat March 13-1937.jpg

This was the challenge 20th February 1937
Billiards Kilmarnock Herald 20th February 1937.png
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Hughie,great info ,keep it coming, the Dan McMillan who sent in the letter to the paper was known as TANNER,he got that name from working in I think Woolworths ,know as the sixpence bazzar
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Is there any chance that the 'TOM HAMILTON,' who agreed to be the stake-holder, was the former Glasgow Rangers goalkeeper, who made 223 League appearances between 1923 and 1934? My memory suggests he ran a caravan park off Parkend Road, Saltcoats, until his death in 1964.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Yes PT, it's the ex Rangers goalkeeper. Here is his advert from around 1938.