Threetowners 20th Birthday Celebrations

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Threetowners 20th Birthday Celebrations

Post by Meg »

Threetowners 20th Reunion Day – 17th July 2019

It’s hard to believe it was July 1999 when a yahoo group was started up by Hugh McCallum in Australia, bringing together people from all over the world with an interest in the Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston - known locally as the Three Towns.
To celebrate this 20th birthday, the Social Committee have put together a day, traversing the 3 towns, with four very different events. We would love to see you at one, or all of the following :

10am – Ardrossan - Meeting place Winton Park – Hill Street Entrance

George Ardrossan will give a short (20 mins or so) presentation on the early years of football in Ardrossan in the Supporters’ Club and give some insight into the recent exciting activities of the Ardrossan Castle Heritage Society up on the hill and around the Castle. After a tour of Winton Park and a wee cup of tea, the Society members will take us up onto the Hill and give a guided tour. We should finish around mid day.

12.30 ish - Lunch

A lovely walk over the hill and down into Ardrossan, along the shore and meet at the Lauriston for lunch – and a blether. I’m sure enough cars would be available if the weather isn’t kind, or if a walk over the Cannon/Castle Hill would prove to be too much exercise before lunch!

4pm - Exploring the Old ICI Site

Iain is putting together a fantastic nature walk around the old ICI site. He will forward on details of timings and route this week – but he anticipates this will take approximately 2 hours. Stout shoes and rainproof jackets might be in order. Some of you might remember Iain put together a similar walk last time (would you believe that was five years ago!!!!) around Ardeer – it was the talk of the steamie for weeks.

After the walk

After the walk – around 6pm ish its proposed to meet up at the Champion Shell for a drink, catch up, and a bite to eat.

Please let us know if you want to come and join us for any or all of the events – it would be great to see you. PM me or post a reply here.

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Threetowners 20th Birthday Celebrations

Post by Hughie »

Well done to Meg and the social committee for arranging all this. Unfortunately for a couple of reasons I can't attend. First I have a minor leg operation due in the next couple of weeks and wouldn't be able to make the long flight from Australia.

I hope everyone enjoys the get together, I'll be looking forward to your posts. Thank you all for your continuing support over the last twenty years. :)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Health comes first Hughie - hope all goes well with the surgery. It’s a shame, and it’s the first one you’ve missed, but we’ll take lots of photos for you.

Megx
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Well, George and I will be there. anyone else?
BWalsh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BWalsh »

Meg
I'd like ti be there. Not sure if I can manage the morning shift but certainly the afternoon/evening part.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

I'll travel down for the full day - looking forward to learning about the castle and the old parish church where I played as a boy without knowing too much about their history; not sure about the Lauriston (I met Mrs PT there :lol: ); and I remember having said previously that Iain should write a book about what he knows of local wildlife and plants. The fact that his planned trip is on the site of the former 'factory', where I've never been before but always wanted to see, is an added bonus.

And the Champion Shell Inn is a smashing pub. Looking forward to the day.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Looking forward to it.

Tom & Anne McGrattan
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Meg sorry I won’t be able to attend as I am waiting on my wife passing away which i have been told will happen over next few days I tried to send PM but it seems to have disappeared.
Ian
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Ian, hi.

I was greatly saddened to read your email. It must be a terrible time for you.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife and family.
Ria and I wish you all the strength and comfort you need to get through the coming days.

Ria and John.
Last edited by John Donnelly on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Meg, hi.
I don't think I will be able to join you on the 17th.
We will be in the middle of moving house and Ria would cut my throat if I took oof for a couple of days holiday. :(
I will be raising a glass of The Glenlivet that evening with you in spirit though.

JD.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

MANBEAR wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:44 pm Meg sorry I won’t be able to attend as I am waiting on my wife passing away which i have been told will happen over next few days I tried to send PM but it seems to have disappeared.
Ian
Ian, this must be a very difficult time for you and your family. I’m sure all of your Threetowners family’s thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Meg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Ian, can I echo what has been said already. Thinking of you at this sad time.

I will try my best to get over for Iain's factory walk but if I don't make it I'll be waiting for you all in the shell :D
Those wimin were in the nip.