The Roseneath

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
kaymay
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Roseneath

Post by kaymay »

The "Roseneath" was an iron barque built at Glasgow in 1857. , her Official number 20194 with registered tonnage of 734.99 and gross 758.27. She was 187 feet long and 31.7 feet wide. Her hold was 19.35 feet deep, she was owned by Mr James Spencer and Co.
In 1889 in late January my Great grandmother with her youngest son Peter sailed from Scotland to join her husband in Dublin. They would join him on the Roseneath which was going to be towed back to Glasgow. The only thing I can think of why she joined her husband was to give their son Peter a treat, to be able to sail on his father's ship. Probably my great grandparents had given the older children the same opportunity when they were younger. Little be-know to them that this time, thing were not going to work out the way they hopped.
Roseneath set sail or at least towed on the 1 February, towed by the paddle steam-tug "Defiance" for the Clyde. On board the Roseneath were the captain Mr. Robbert A Browns, first mate Duncan Taylor, boatswain, an apprentice and five seamen/runners, my great grandmother Marion Taylor and son Peter who was four years old. Making it 11 people on-board.
The weather was not bad to start with, a moderate breeze blew, the Roseneath and tug hugged the Irish coast line. She then went abreast of Dundalk set fore and main topmast and mizen stay-sails. The sea was becoming more unsettling as the continued, squalls and snow along with strong wind veering from the west -north -west. They managed to stay on-cause until a heavy squall hit them coming from the direction of Belfast Lough. Causing the Roseneath to veer badly putting huge strain on the tug. Next thing they knew, the ring of the tugs towing gear snapped in half leaving the Roseneath a drift. The tug master tried to come alongside the ship and try to tie the rope but it was unsuccessful, a few attempts were made but it was no use. For 5 hours they tried, but the sea was to rough. It was 7 o’clock in the morning and the Roseneath was drifting towards the Scottish coast.
My great grandmother and her son must have been huddled in one of the cabins, I cannot imagine how scared they must have been.
At daylight the ship was drifting fast towards the Wigtowshire coast, they hoisted her ensign union down signalling distress. The tug steamed around trying to make contact but communications were been humped by the gale and heavy sea. The tug was badly damaged and the tug master made the dissection to leave the ship for he could not help any further and sailed for the safety of Loch Ryan.
Once again a snow storm hit the Roseneath and when it cleared the crew found that they were about 2 miles from Port Patrick Harbour. As they got closer the backwash caught her pulling her to the rocks. The master gave his orders to the helm to put down. But the ship drifted pass the harbour mouth. The strong flood tide cause the Roseneath to bump along the rocks, a rocket was fired and communication was established with the shore. But it far too late to be of any help. Those on deck were tossed around like ragdolls. Six lives were lost that day, my great grandparents and their son drowned along with three others.
From the Glasgow Herald
‘GLASGOW HERALD
4 FEBRUARY 1889

SEVERE STORM AND SHIPWRECK
STRANDING OF GLASGOW VESSEL – SIX LIVES LOST

On Saturday morning, during the hurricane, the Glasgow-owned barque ROSENEATH was wrecked near Portpatrick.
The news of the loss of the ROSENEATH created a deep feeling of sympathy in Saltcoats, especially when it became known that the mate, Mr. DUNCAN TAYLOR, his wife, and son, were drowned.
Mr. Taylor was a native of Saltcoats, and his family lived there. Mrs. Taylor left home a fortnight ago to meet her husband on his return from a voyage taking with her a son, aged four. She appears to have been returning in the vessel when the disaster occurred.
Mr. Taylor was aged about 50, and leaves a family of four. The greatest sympathy is felt for them in the district.”

Around the 5 February 1889 a telegram was received in Saltcoast, my great grandparents’ home town. That a body of a child had been found washed ashore, believe to be the son of Mr Taylor. About six days later the body of my great grandfather Duncan Taylor was found washed ashore nine miles from the wreck. My great grandmother’s body was never found.
A public funeral was held and a large number of shipmasters, merchants the residents of Saltcoats and family were there.
There were five children, four stayed with their mother’s sister Janet Campbell and their grandfather John Campbell. The oldest a daughter was already married. According to one notice in the newspaper the community had organised a collection to help the children.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: The Roseneath

Post by sheenaj »

What a horrible tragedy.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

kaymay wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:00 pm The "Roseneath" was an iron barque built at Glasgow in 1857. , her Official number 20194 with registered tonnage of 734.99 and gross 758.27. She was 187 feet long and 31.7 feet wide. Her hold was 19.35 feet deep, she was owned by Mr James Spencer and Co.
In 1889 in late January my Great grandmother with her youngest son Peter sailed from Scotland to join her husband in Dublin. They would join him on the Roseneath which was going to be towed back to Glasgow. The only thing I can think of why she joined her husband was to give their son Peter a treat, to be able to sail on his father's ship. Probably my great grandparents had given the older children the same opportunity when they were younger. Little be-know to them that this time, thing were not going to work out the way they hopped.
Roseneath set sail or at least towed on the 1 February, towed by the paddle steam-tug "Defiance" for the Clyde. On board the Roseneath were the captain Mr. Robbert A Browns, first mate Duncan Taylor, boatswain, an apprentice and five seamen/runners, my great grandmother Marion Taylor and son Peter who was four years old. Making it 11 people on-board.
The weather was not bad to start with, a moderate breeze blew, the Roseneath and tug hugged the Irish coast line. She then went abreast of Dundalk set fore and main topmast and mizen stay-sails. The sea was becoming more unsettling as the continued, squalls and snow along with strong wind veering from the west -north -west. They managed to stay on-cause until a heavy squall hit them coming from the direction of Belfast Lough. Causing the Roseneath to veer badly putting huge strain on the tug. Next thing they knew, the ring of the tugs towing gear snapped in half leaving the Roseneath a drift. The tug master tried to come alongside the ship and try to tie the rope but it was unsuccessful, a few attempts were made but it was no use. For 5 hours they tried, but the sea was to rough. It was 7 o’clock in the morning and the Roseneath was drifting towards the Scottish coast.
My great grandmother and her son must have been huddled in one of the cabins, I cannot imagine how scared they must have been.
At daylight the ship was drifting fast towards the Wigtowshire coast, they hoisted her ensign union down signalling distress. The tug steamed around trying to make contact but communications were been humped by the gale and heavy sea. The tug was badly damaged and the tug master made the dissection to leave the ship for he could not help any further and sailed for the safety of Loch Ryan.
Once again a snow storm hit the Roseneath and when it cleared the crew found that they were about 2 miles from Port Patrick Harbour. As they got closer the backwash caught her pulling her to the rocks. The master gave his orders to the helm to put down. But the ship drifted pass the harbour mouth. The strong flood tide cause the Roseneath to bump along the rocks, a rocket was fired and communication was established with the shore. But it far too late to be of any help. Those on deck were tossed around like ragdolls. Six lives were lost that day, my great grandparents and their son drowned along with three others.
From the Glasgow Herald
‘GLASGOW HERALD
4 FEBRUARY 1889

SEVERE STORM AND SHIPWRECK
STRANDING OF GLASGOW VESSEL – SIX LIVES LOST

On Saturday morning, during the hurricane, the Glasgow-owned barque ROSENEATH was wrecked near Portpatrick.
The news of the loss of the ROSENEATH created a deep feeling of sympathy in Saltcoats, especially when it became known that the mate, Mr. DUNCAN TAYLOR, his wife, and son, were drowned.
Mr. Taylor was a native of Saltcoats, and his family lived there. Mrs. Taylor left home a fortnight ago to meet her husband on his return from a voyage taking with her a son, aged four. She appears to have been returning in the vessel when the disaster occurred.
Mr. Taylor was aged about 50, and leaves a family of four. The greatest sympathy is felt for them in the district.”

Around the 5 February 1889 a telegram was received in Saltcoast, my great grandparents’ home town. That a body of a child had been found washed ashore, believe to be the son of Mr Taylor. About six days later the body of my great grandfather Duncan Taylor was found washed ashore nine miles from the wreck. My great grandmother’s body was never found.
A public funeral was held and a large number of shipmasters, merchants the residents of Saltcoats and family were there.
There were five children, four stayed with their mother’s sister Janet Campbell and their grandfather John Campbell. The oldest a daughter was already married. According to one notice in the newspaper the community had organised a collection to help the children.
GLASGOW HERALD
11 FEBRUARY 1889

THE WRECK OF THE ROSENEATH – REPORT ON THE ACTION OF THE LIFEBOAT

Captain Nepean, R.N., depute chief inspector, and Mr Keppel H. Foote, R.N., district inspector, of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, who made an inquiry into the causes which prevented the lifeboat proceeding to the wreck of the ROSENEATH on the 2nd instant, read their report to a public meeting in Portpatrick on Friday night.

The following is their report: -

“First – We are of the opinion that the committee with the exception of Mr Rankin, do not appear to have quite realised their responsibilities with regard to the efficiency of the lifeboat for which they are primarily responsible. The chairman, the honorary secretary, and Mr Rankin were shown to have been very properly at the lifeboat house, but it does not appear from the evidence that either the chairman or the honorary secretary did anything to encourage the coxswain to launch his boat or to assist him in assembling the crew with all possible despatch.

The remainder of the committee do not seem to have been informed, or to have known anything of there being a vessel in distress. On the other hand, Mr Rankin, who, besides being a member of the committee, is also a leading and very active member of the Rocket Brigade, found time, while he was putting on his belt and otherwise assisting at the rocket apparatus, to go twice to the boat-house and urge the coxswain to get his men together and launch his boat; and when asked by the coxswain – ‘What about the men’s pay,’ replied that he would, if necessary, find the money, and we think he deserves great commendation for what he did.

“Second – That there appears to have been a great want of decision and energy on the part of the coxswain in mustering his crew and doing all he could to launch his boat. He has been a sailor and a fisherman for the last 40 years, is thoroughly acquainted with the tides and the perils of this most dangerous coast; and although he was informed at 7.40 that there was a vessel with a signal of distress flying only four miles off, and that she would probably require the assistance of the lifeboat, we do not find that any steps were taken by him to get his boat out of the house and under the crane (by which she is lifted into the water) until after the vessel had made sail and her head was turned towards the land, when it became apparent from the speed with which she approached that it was too late to render any efficient assistance with the lifeboat.

There was distinctly a loss of time in getting the crew together, and instead of doing all he possibly could to attain this object, he and his second coxswain were employed inside the lifeboat house, where he could not be seen, reefing the sails of the boat, which one would naturally suppose could best be done by the crew when she was in the water.

The fact of more sail being set upon the vessel, and her course being altered towards the land was, in our opinion, sufficient to confirm the coxswain in the view he took, that she was under some control, and might possibly be attempting to run before the wind to a safe anchorage. His reply to Mr Rankin, when urged to get his men together and his boat into the water as quickly as possible, was most unfortunate and reprehensible; at the same time we are quite willing to accept the coxswain’s interpretation of what he meant, which was, that he considered the time for rendering any assistance to the vessel had passed, and he did not wish to put the institution to unnecessary expense.

We are quite of the opinion that the vessel could not be approached by the lifeboat after she had struck the rocks without exposing the crew to very great danger, and the coxswain was accordingly justified in refusing to launch the boat over the quay, the time having passed for attempting to render the requisite assistance.

“Third – That the second coxswain, taking into consideration his state of health, did what he could to assist the coxswain.

“Fourth – That the crew did not assemble with the alacrity usually shown when a vessel is approaching the shore with a signal of distress flying; and when, after a good deal of delay, all were present a want of co-operation between them and the coxswain became only too apparent.

When the difficulty of slinging the boat and hooking on the crane-chain arose, and it was noticed how near the vessel had approached, the attempt to put the boat into the water was abandoned, and the crew left by twos and threes for the rocket apparatus and were at last followed by the coxswains – the only excuse offered for this unaccountable proceeding being that given by one of the crew named Thomas Smith, who stated they were disgusted at the time already wasted and because she was not launched over the quay into the water.

“In conclusion, we wish to state that the station-officer of coastguard directly it was reported to him that the vessel was off the coast flying a signal of distress took immediate steps to acquaint the honorary secretary and coxswain of the lifeboat.

(Signed) L. Vincent Nepean,
Depute Chief Inspector.

(Signed) Keppel H. Foote,
District Inspector.”
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
kaymay
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kaymay »

Just to clarify , the information on the 'Roseneath" The personal information was written by the granddaughter of Duncan and Marion Taylor. I added to it, the info on the 'Roseneath" , Duncan and Marion Taylor are my Great great grandparents.

A notice in the Glasgow Herald

GLASGOW HERALD
13 FEBRUARY 1889

SALTCOATS – FUNERAL OF MR. DUNCAN TAYLOR

Yesterday the remains of Mr. Duncan Taylor, mate of the ROSENEATH, who was drowned when the vessel was wrecked at Portpatrick, were interred in the cemetery here.

The body was washed ashore on Saturday afternoon, nine miles from the wreck, and was yesterday conveyed to Saltcoats.

Great sympathy has been felt for the relatives of the deceased, and the funeral was a public one, being attended by a large number of shipmasters, merchants, and residents of the town.

The body of Mrs. Taylor, who was drowned at the same time, has not been recovered.

A public subscription to aid the younger members of the family has been commenced.

My great grandfather and his siblings ended up living with their aunt Janet Campbell, sister of their mother and their grandfather John Campbell. Janet was a spinster looking after her father.