Campbells, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Campbells, Ardrossan

Post by Mitchy »

Hello all,

I haven't posted for a while. Hope everyone is well.

In the Castlehill Vaults last night we briefly debated who or what 'Campbells Ardrossan' refers to in the large mirror in the public bar. For those with Facebook you can see a picture of the mirror from the link.

The mirror was uncovered during refurbishment work by previous owner Alfie Agostini in the mid 1980's, when the then public bar became the lounge, and a new public bar was built. It probably precedes even the time when Alfies father Aldo owned the pub, and it has been given pride of place by every licensee ever since.

My question is does anyone know who or what Campbells Ardrossan was?

Ian Mitchell
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Campbells, Ardrossan

Post by brian f »

A big longshot Mitchy-Could it be in recognition to Saltcoats born Victoria cross recipient Kenneth Campbell who was educated at Ardrossan Academy ?
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Not sure Brian, but thanks for the reply.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

More than welcome Mitchy. I think you have all the legends stumped on this one. Good post.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

You might not be wrong Brian. I have previously come across a reference to a Campbell's Inn, Saltcoats; and much more recently a James Campbell, spirit merchant, who lived in Saltcoats, albeit I don't know how or where he conducted his business. A big mistake we could make however, is to ASS/U/ME the mirror must have come from licensed premises. I have a recollection of at least two chemist shops in Glasgow in the 1970s having such mirrors.

What is the red circular shape in the centre of the mirror?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

I think I might have nailed this. After much online searching I ended up in the British Newspaper Archive. I found not only that the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald archive is referencing the Castlehill Vaults as far back as the late 1800's, and indeed carrying adverts for the pub, but the publication dated Friday 14th April 1899 references the Licensee as a Mr Thomas Campbell. If the mirror does indeed go back to those days it is a very interesting Artefact indeed. As I said it was uncovered during renovation work in the mid 1980's and was not known about by Alfie, the then owner, and also not known when his father was the owner. So there is a chance it links back to the days of Mr Campbell.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Well done, Mitchy. I seem to recall the pub being mentioned in one or even both of Patrick O'Connor's books written about Ardrossan during the early 1900s "Down the Bath Rocks" and "In a Marmalade Saloon" but can't recall if the name Campbell was mentioned.

Have some nice memories going back to Alfie's Dad, Aldo, and even his dad, old Alfie in his icecream shop at the bottom of Glasgow Street - a jug of icecream from there or the Plazza, lovely!

Earlier posts: https://www.threetowners.net/forum/view ... 468#p30468
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Mitchy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 pm I think I might have nailed this. After much online searching I ended up in the British Newspaper Archive. I found not only that the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald archive is referencing the Castlehill Vaults as far back as the late 1800's, and indeed carrying adverts for the pub, but the publication dated Friday 14th April 1899 references the Licensee as a Mr Thomas Campbell. If the mirror does indeed go back to those days it is a very interesting Artefact indeed. As I said it was uncovered during renovation work in the mid 1980's and was not known about by Alfie, the then owner, and also not known when his father was the owner. So there is a chance it links back to the days of Mr Campbell.
Hi Mitchy,

I put your query to two Alfie’s regulars that I know well. (So do you :wink: )

They seem to have been told in the past that the mirror was made just after WW1, c1920, for a Theresa Campbell, which would be about a generation out from your investigations.

However, if they are correct, the female in question could well be the daughter of the Thomas Campbell you have mentioned.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The following intimation in the 30th January 1907 edition of the Glasgow Herald may or may not be connected.

DEATH

CAMPBELL: Suddenly (of pneumonia) at No. 1 Anderson Terrace, Ardrossan, on the 28th instant, Thomas Campbell, Wine Merchant, aged 40 years.

A memoriam a year later in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald refers only to his wife Mary Brownlee - no mention of a daughter or other family members.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

You're right PT. It's the correct Thomas Campbell.
The valuation rolls show Thomas Campbell, spirit merchant as tenant/occupier of the pub in Princes Lane (later Princes Place). After his death his wife Mary took over until her death in 1925. From then on the trustees of Mrs Mary Campbell were named (with John Shanks as manager). Between 1930 and 1935 a new tenant took over - James Emerson. No mention of children.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Thanks for all the latest updates. Looks like I certainly stumbled on the right Campbells, albeit maybe I was too early in my estimation of when the mirror first appeared.

The present day licensee is interested in this, as her family has had a connection with the pub for many years, and have run it since 2014. They were never sure about the origins of the mirror. I will keep her updated on the latest.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am You're right PT. It's the correct Thomas Campbell.
The valuation rolls show Thomas Campbell, spirit merchant as tenant/occupier of the pub in Princes Lane (later Princes Place). After his death his wife Mary took over until her death in 1925. From then on the trustees of Mrs Mary Campbell were named (with John Shanks as manager). Between 1930 and 1935 a new tenant took over - James Emerson. No mention of children.
It is my understanding that the Agostini family took the pub over from the Emersons. I believe the Agostini's also had other business interests in the town, including the ice cream stalls on the prom.