Who was Wullie Wylie?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Who was Wullie Wylie?

Post by Penny Tray »

I have a wee reservation about our 'target' being a businessman but having said this, I have previously posted an article about the death in 1891 of Mr. John Thomson, Shoemaker, Quay Street, Saltcoats. I wonder however, if he had a son of the same name who carried on the business, and who was the person referred to in Wullie Wylie's letter of 8/9/1905, viz: "That's whit I wis sayin' to John Tamson the other nicht there, when he cam' in tae ha'e a bit crack." One shoemaker, passing the time of day, so to speak, with another.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks Susan, Irene and Penny. Found this post in the January 26th 1906 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald. In the second image it appears locals didn't seem to be aware of who Wullie Wylie was. :roll:
Wullie Wylie's Critics.jpg
Story covers two and a half columns.

This from near the end of the story.
Wullie.jpg
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Now this is the type pf thread that makes me aware why I enjoy the TTT's so much.

JD.
MissyMack
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MissyMack »

Hello :D
I have followed this topic and know the occupants of 7 Wellpark Road as it was my 2x great grandfather who died there on 30 December 1914. His name was Neil McGregor, aged 74 and he was living with his daughter, Elizabeth and her husband Hugh Smylie. If I've done my research correctly, Hugh Smylie died at this address on 17 June 1932. If anyone knows of this family McGregor/Smylie and their 3 children please could you get in touch as I have more information. Many thanks.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

MissyMack wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 pm Hello :D
If I've done my research correctly, Hugh Smylie died at this address on 17 June 1932.
MissyMack,

There is a family intimation in the 20 June 1932 edition of the Glasgow Herald in the following terms: -

DEATH

SMYLIE: Suddenly at the Infirmary, Kilmarnock, on 17th June, 1932, Hugh Smylie, beloved husband of Elizabeth McGregor, 7 Wellpark Road, Saltcoats.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
MissyMack
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MissyMack »

Many thanks Penny Tray for posting info about Hugh Smylie. :D