Local Defibrillator Locations

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Local Defibrillator Locations

Post by Hughie »

Was surprised by the amount of defibrillators listed and there locations in our town here in Oz. So was wondering if North Ayrshire had them listed with there locations in the three towns. Here's what I found:
defribrillators-vert.jpg
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Local Defibrillator Locations

Post by John Donnelly »

It's interesting to note that the only non-official organisation to be listed is the Wetherspoons pub in the old laScala building.
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

John, it surprised me that the three local bowling clubs didn't get a mention. I might add, here in Oz, the funding for defibrillators was taken up by local sports clubs and others such as the Lions, Rotary and retiree groups. We contributed at local dances through raffles and auctions.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Interesting to know there are defibrillators in so many places. The question I have is that who would then be qualified to use one. In the wrong hands they could unintentionally become fatal.

Wee Boney
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

The defibrillators don't work like that, they basically tell the user if the person needs it and won't shock someone who doesn't.
Those wimin were in the nip.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Thanks for the information Bonzo, I wasn't aware of that.

Wee Boney
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

yes, they’re designed to be “idiot-proof” - you attach them to the person (it speaks instructions on how to do this) and it will only “fire” if it detects something abnormal, that it can fix. They’re designed to be used with no training if necessary.

We’ve got several at work, all of the security staff are trained in their use. We had to use it once, when a colleague became ill - the security guys arrived with the machine about 5 minutes before the ambulance got there. Sadly in that case, it didn’t make any difference.

I also have seen several on my travels recently, mounted in outdoor boxes in public places. One in Neilston, and I think one in Lochranza. They’re in boxes with keypads - the idea is that you phone 999, and the 999 operator will tell you how to open the box, and talk you through its use.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Bruce,

They are now appearing in shopping centres down here in Australia. I remember some thirty years ago there were quite novel as only a few had been manufactured and they were being introduced into hospitals and ambulances. In New South Wales the then richest man in Australia Kerry Packer had a heart attack whilst at a polo match in Sydney. He was fortunate that the ambulance that arrived had one on board and his life was saved because of that. When he recovered and found out the machine had saved him, he organised for every ambulance in new South Wales to carry one as standard equipment and he footed the bill.

Wee Boney
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

When I lived next to ardeer bowling club,of which I am a member, I was looking out my bedroom window when I noticed one of the bowlers playing on the green had collapsed. Luckily one of the people who was playing with him was a life guard trained in cpr. he kept administering first aid until the ambulance came and the paramedics took him to the hospital.Apparently his heart had stopped several times but the first aider kept thumping his chest and giving mouth to mouth that undoubtely saved his life. Fortunately he made a full recovery and is still bowling today
Idiot - seeks village.
PJMURRAY
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PJMURRAY »

Bicket's the butcher have one in both their Saltcoats and Kilwinning shops. Well done to them.