Sign of the times

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Sign of the times

Post by glenshena »

On our visits to Saltcoats my grandaughter always goes jogging along the beach, sometimes arriving at the North Shore. This time when she came back she commented " My there's so much plastic now on Saltcoats Beach".
The next day I saw a blond woman (Viv?) cleaning up with gloves, a pick up stick and a big bag. Then driving up to Largs saw a man at the beginning of the North Shore doing the same. Well done. I was always on the beach as a child in the 50's but I don't remember seeing much plastic or perhaps it wasn't even invented then. The bottles were all glass and refundable. What could be the deterrent to having plastic floating in the sea? Now the government says they will be removing plastic from our world, but I can't imagine a world without plastic.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Sign of the times

Post by Vivc113 »

No me !! Don't do seaside much !!! Lol
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

glenshena wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:37 am
The next day I saw a blond woman (Viv?) cleaning up with gloves, a pick up stick and a big bag. Then driving up to Largs saw a man at the beginning of the North Shore doing the same. Well done.
I was like you Glenshena, and loved the shore when I was a kid. These days I prefer the winter walking along Ayr prom, the summer is just too busy. I think I mentioned in a previous post somewhere that the three Ayrshires (north, south and east) have somewhere in the region of 150 people each 450 in total who are out cleaning beaches, country roads and urban areas. Coastal schools in south Ayrshire (such as Barassie, Troon and Ballantrae) all have classes who go down and clean up the beaches for their eco bronze/silver awards - I’m sure north Ayrshire has the same.

Meg
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I've never been on Ayr prom or beach. Really don't know what it's like. But Saltcoats beach and Prom is hard to beat, even though its just dogs that are in swimming at the moment! That's great if there are organised volonteers cleaning up the beaches, but why has it come to this stage? But its not just here, on the news tonight it was the beautiful deserted Gallapagos islands with their wonderful exotic Wild life. The beaches there are now full of plastic items and seals are found chewing on plastic bags. Many sea animals have been found to have plastic food particles in their stomachs. So I guess this problem is all over the world but finding it so -
close to home is worrying.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It is simply a sign of ill mannered louts coming up. Sadly it is not just on the beaches, but also on the buses too. 585 (as an example) is often full of empty cups n wrappers, etc, left for other folk to clear up.

Like Meg, I prefer the winter walking along any coastline avoiding crowds.

Having been at ASDA Ardrossan on Monday, I decided to head along South Beach Prom. Mobbed. Every reason why countryside is so much better.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Was it mobbed because of the Fair Viv.? I was surprised to see the Fair in May, it used to be a summer event on the Braes. Or was it a bank holiday weekend? I wish I could be there next weekend to see the Ardrossan Highland Games Sunday June 10 but my grandchildren are still at school. Maybe I'll manage the Dunoon Games end of August. I would love my grandchildren to see the games. A unique event to show them what Scotland is all about.

Can I brag a little bit? My 23 year old grandaughter graduated from University last week. Oh what a happy day! She is now a Batchelor of Science of Communications. The family are so proud. Now to find a job!
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

True. It was the Fair.

Summer hols will be torture as well though and I will avoid the sea like the plague. Apparently junkie needles have been found on South Beach.

Glad for grand daughter.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 am True. It was the Fair.

Summer hols will be torture as well though and I will avoid the sea like the plague. Apparently junkie needles have been found on South Beach.
What a great online advert for the three town's beach area's that is Viv. Well done.

How's the countryside litter collection programme coming along these day's ? :)
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

Tbf, I live right on the seafront & often take the grandweans down the shore & find the beach relatively clean & tidy.
The ongoing problem with “travellers” is a different matter though. These gypsies have frequented the areas around stevenston shore front for ages now. Yes, they get moved on once the council/police have got permission to do so, but all they do is move to another part a couple of hundred yards down.
It’s the mess that’s left behind them that is a major issue. The sooner that something more severe is done to tackle these people the better.
Was told a story recently about them that I couldn’t believe, but it turned out to be true. It was down in an area of Liverpool where there were major works to be done on this specified ground where the gypsy community had parked. Rather than company taking them through the courts to get the moved on (which seemingly is time consuming), they simply paid them thousands of pounds ( & yes it was a right few quid) to move them on!
As I said, we have beautiful coastline, but for the meantime until this problem is truly cleared up, I won’t be taking the wee ones down there anytime soon.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

michaelm wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:12 pm
Vivc113 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:22 am True. It was the Fair.

What a great online advert for the three town's beach area's that is Viv. Well done.

How's the countryside litter collection programme coming along these day's ? :)
The countryside litter collection is futile as it just keeps coming back. Needs more than one person on the job - same as any big task. 😠

Btw, just as another example of louts... Had to use a taxi the other day coz I had too many bags with me. We were rolling along, got near the pool, and a schoolboy deliberately fired a chip carton in front of the car, with chips going everywhere. Would not like to post what the driver had to say.

Total louts.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

My brother is in Saltcoats today and has spotted a dead seal on Saltcoats beach. Hope it hasn't choked on a plastic bag . :cry: