The Dubbs Rd

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: The Dubbs Rd

Post by Bruce »

Don’t quote me on that - “buy” might be the wrong word - maybe it was “get permission to use"
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I think you used the correct word,given it's the council

On the Stevenston side of the bridge there is a lay bye large enough to turn, then straight through there is the Dubbs Farm turn off
on the Kilwinning side(Todhill Farm) of the bridge there is an old entrance to ICI land , if you travel under the bridge and look , straight ahead down the gateway and path, that is ICI land to the right ICI land and a small section of the land that is attached to the caravan farm but that a fair bit away, to the left is council land which was used as council dump for years, then on to marsh land (ICI's) then Todhill where the road rises and takes a bend

PS ICI had a name for it , Garnock something ??????
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

I would have assumed that the land within the plantation just through the bridge would have belonged to Todhill (or is Todhill council owned?)Then everything from Ardeer fen onwards old ICI land.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Todhill is privately owned, in recent times, 20 years ago I think it was a trust in part owned or administered by people from the likes of J'P.Coats.The dump was separated from Todhill's land,
The "dust carts" emptied there in the early 70s, that said the council dumped at Auchenharvie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Seems that’s the road finally closed now.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I cycled along it on Sunday morning and it was still open.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Taken last night
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Dubbs Rd. Will always be in my memory.

1. The local residents-The Toadies :D
2. Five or six louts from Pennyburn used to use this road for our day trips into Saltcoats plunking the school no polis around. Most from Glasgow but we had Lex from Hurlford in our company remember one day when we passed the local Friesians he stopped in the middle of the road and declared breathe that fresh country air in -you people have never lived . :-P

The Strawberries tasted Delicious. :wink:
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Went to todhill for plants on Thursday. 16. 05. Had to go via Kilwinning end. Don't be put off by the Road Closed , or the No Through Rd. signs , although the Road does not extend beyond Todhill. CAUTION...... excercise extreme care . There are lots of Nuts about on this Rd............Be Warned!!!!.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

tapnagol wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 am Went to todhill for plants on Thursday. 16. 05. Had to go via Kilwinning end. Don't be put off by the Road Closed , or the No Through Rd. signs , although the Road does not extend beyond Todhill. CAUTION...... excercise extreme care . There are lots of Nuts about on this Rd............Be Warned!!!!.
Nuts as in nuts and bolts or nuts as in crazy people?
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

0802. OK. Nut cases. Remember it's proximity to Killwinkie.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I went for tomato plants 2weeks ago and I made the mistake of going through Kilwinning, instead of along the bypass to the kilwinning turn off.It took me about an hour to find the right road. there is a building company building 48 houses just behind the farm, with construction lorry's running about, while there are cyclists using the road as well. It's a wonder no one has been seriously hurt yet.
I spoke to the guy from the farm,who served me, and he said the taking were away down this year, I mentioned going to a lawyer for compensation to him, and he said they would probably look into it.
Idiot - seeks village.