AA Bus Stance - Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

AA Bus Stance - Ardrossan

Post by Penny Tray »

I was reminded in a discussion today that the original AA bus stance was in North Crescent Avenue (between Eglinton Road and North Crescent Road). Anyone else remember it at this location?

It later moved, of course, to North Crescent Road opposite the Witches Linn.

Come to think of it we've had a few bus stances in the Threetowns over the years, spoiled as we were with AA, A1, Clyde Coast and Western SMT services.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Big T
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: AA Bus Stance - Ardrossan

Post by Big T »

You are so correct. The 3 towners possibly had the best bus service anywhere in the UK. No matter where you wanted to go there was a bus every half hour and in some cases (A1) every 10 minutes. Although I don't think it was appreciated.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

Now we have stagecoach the bus service is terrible.Supposed to be a 10 minute service to Kilmarnock the other day I waited 2o minutes then as usual 2 came along.If you go out at night after 6pm then it is an hourly service from the top end yet every bus going to kilmarnock go round pennyburn and half the time they dont stop.Its about time another bus company tried to get this route then we would have buses evry 5 minutes like the last time.Am I glad that I have moved to the bottom end,easy to get to the town.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Penny Tray wrote:I was reminded in a discussion today that the original AA bus stance was in North Crescent Avenue (between Eglinton Road and North Crescent Road). Anyone else remember it at this location?
Yes I remember it there. Alec Seggie, the woodwork teacher at the Academy, built a house in the Avenue and he was followed there by the other technical (technical drawing and metalwork) teacher whose name I can't remember.
5thBeatle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by 5thBeatle »

I can remember A1 Bus Stance at Fleming Crescent Saltcoats ( New England ) and also another A1 Bus Stance at what was called the Villias down at Ardeer (Pillar Box) . Then there was the main one opposite Ardrossan Academy. Sometimes the SMT bus stopped for 10mins at Stevenston Cross.
If you don't know where your going, any road will take you there.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

Wish I used the camera a lot more back in the 90's before stagecoach took over (had a camera trusty Zenith 35mm SLR but with the cost of getting phots developed etc), okay the auldyins on here will be saying 90's ???? but even then there was such a variety in the buses. Different engines from volvo, scania, Gardner, Leyland plus all the different bodies. Think there was barely 2 A1 buses the same, as an apprentice did ardrossan to killie every day by bus and okay some of the A1's were heaps, you got wetter inside than you did outside. Compared to the modern stuff they had character, last time I used a service bus must be 5 years ago when heading to Killie to pick up a railtour to fort william, thankfully late mum picked me and even more pished mate up when we got home, did laugh when she used my car to pick us up saying "if you spew then it is your motor no mine" aye character was my maw

thankfully you can still experience real buses at the bus museum at lathalmond near dunfermline
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
h ballantyne
New Poster
New Poster

Post by h ballantyne »

If you think the number 11 service is bad then you should try the number 12 service between Ardrossan and Ardeer. If it wasn't for Asda subsidising the route the service would be even worse than the 40 minute service that we have now for most of the day.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

There was an A1 stance / service shop along High road, not far from Bissett's shop.
I had a chuckle one day in Saltcoats when 3 buses passed by, blue, green and red and right behind them car enthusiast local boys I knew in their 'souped up' minis drove by in exactly the same order. lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Retsum,

The Lord works in mysterious ways (or does he?). I didn't go to the Academy but I've been trying to think who the other teacher was who built a house in North Crescent Avenue and when I saw "H Ballantyne" posting, an old, rusty brain cell creaked open and the name BANNATYNE sprang to mind. Could this be the name of Mr. Seggie's neighbour?
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

You could be right P.T. but the name does not give rise to a resonance in my creaking brain. There was a Bannatyne who taught at the school but he was a younger guy (in those days). He did live in that area. The name that struggles to the surface is Murray (not Wongy Murray). The guy I am thinking of also took charge of the tennis club which did not interest me in those days. He and Alec Seggie were about the same age.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Think the name you want is Mr Davidson, Graham. There are several pictures of him with the tennis club on the Academy archive website, here's one of them:

http://www.iandalgleish.co.uk/AAwebsite ... ge884.html

And looking in the old phone book I find an R Davidson listed as living at The Moorings, North Crescent Road; that could well be him. Mr Seggie's house name is given as Nanaimo...wonder where that comes from.

Mr Bannatyne meanwhile ( who taught Maths ) has been mentioned several times before...his nephew is even a member here. The phone book has him as having lived in Stanley Drive. Here's a picture of him:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 153#p88153

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

I'm retaining a notion that Mr. Bannatyne might just have moved across the road from Stanley Drive to build himself a house next to Mr. Seggie in North Crescent Avenue. The "Moorings" was on the shorefront, as you say, in North Crescent Road.

Incidentally, Catherine Seggie, Ayrshire born, died in British Columbia, Canada, on 3 July 1916 and is buried in NANAIMO CEMETERY. Maybe a family connection?
Last edited by Penny Tray on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.