Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.

Where in the world do we live?

Three towns
30%
Elsewhere in Scotland
21%
England
16%
Other UK
2%
Europe other than UK
2%
Australia
12%
Canada
6%
New Zealand
2%
USA
6%
Others
3%

Total votes: 438

tymnetdave
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself

Post by tymnetdave »

Hi, I am David Simmons and for past 45 years have been working and living in England, currently Wilmslow just outside Manchester but regularly return to visit the Costa del Clyde. My interest in my old school was revised after reading Janice Galloway's All Made Up which mentioned several teachers I remembered from Ardrossan Academy. I still remember 1962 when I left West Kilbride School after passing the 'qualy' and so had to now get the blue and grey Clyde Coast Services school bus from Seamill to the big school at Ardrossan, later taking the train with pupils coming from Largs to South Beach station.Just down from the station was the pub where we could buy an under age lunchtime pint of lager to breath over the teachers.As I recall in 1966 we could go down to the beach and could just about see Radio Scotland's transmitter ship Comet moored off Troon and listen to DJs such as Stuart Henry.
Have enjoyed seeing school photos and reading recollections and look forward to future ones
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

A warm welcome to the three towners David - looking forward to reading your posts.

Meg
Robert Steele
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Robert Steele »

Hello. My name is Robert Steele in Auckland New Zealand. I have just discovered that my Great Great Grandfather, Robert Steele, lived, and died in 1909 in Stevenson, Ayr, Scotland. He lived at 99 Ardeer Square, after moving from 110 of the same square.

He had 6 children with his wife Martha; the oldest, Isaac, was my Great Grandfather. It was he who immigrated to NZ.

I wonder if Robert Steele is in your city records? He was born in 1831 in Ireland. He and Martha moved to Scotland not long after they were married because their oldest child (Isaac) was born in Maybole, Ayr but married in Stevenson.

Robert’s father’s name was also Isaac but no further information beyond that. I’ve looked up your beautiful town on your website. If you have any information I would be most grateful. Happy to cover costs. God bless you.

Rev. Robert Steele.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hello Robert and a warm welcome to the Threetowners. I’ve removed your personal email from your post - people can either DM you or contact you by email via the contact icon next to your message. Fingers crossed for a good outcome - we have some wonderful genealogists in our forum.

Regards
Meg
Frewt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Frewt »

Gregor Fraser here from Australia!

I've enjoyed reading this forum and seeing the vast knowledge of history, culture, and genealogy your community has here - it's quite astonishing.
I've also done a bit of research for the Frew Family and of course, a lot of contrasting views on where we come from and the origin of the name as well.

Would you guys have any details about the Frew family name in this area?

I did read somewhere the name Frew means 'Early' in Flemish, but I couldn't find any sources for this.

Note: Also, There's a book called 'when Scotland was Jewish', published quite a few years ago and suggests the Frew/Fraser name is Jewish/French, but I don't know if it's seen as a valid source/research book?

Thank you,

Gregor
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Hi my name is Eddie
Lived in 3 towns since I was born in 62 apart from roughly 25 years spent in England, as far south as Isle of Wight and as far north Birmingham .
Came back in 2012 and been here since , originally Stevenston born and bred but now in Saltcoats.
Still trying to post a pic - even after reading instructions Highie sent , don't have laptop or phone so using a galaxy s20.
Anyway here goes again.

Injured swan rescued after being blown into a cable.
Found wandering around seabank nursing home .
She is now in Stirling after being stitched up and expected to make a full recovery.
My wife called me when she was out with the dog , I was on sofa feeling grumpy and fed up but when I went out to check on this young swan that was about to wander onto the road and get hit by a vehicle my mood really improved " its not every day that I get the chance to rescue a swan lol "
She was so calm when I lifted her up , as though she knew I was just looking out for her.
Attachments
20220131_101342.jpg
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Hi Gregor
I knew a family by the name of Frew that lived in hillside St Stevenston father was Alex , mother Mary I think
They had 3 sons Alex the eldest who still runs a plumbing company in New Street Stevenston , I went to school with daughter Mary, I can't recall the other children's names.
I will attach a photo giving details of another Frew plumbing company but I don't know if they are related.
All the best in finding out more , sorry I couldn't be more help
Attachments
Screenshot_20220204-092035_Google.jpg
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Hi Eddie, the Frews you are talking about were from Ailsa Drive and my neighbours. Their company name was Hugh K Frew and sons, Hugh being the fathers name. Unfortunately Alex had a bad stroke October time last year and looks like a long road to recovery. I still see Mary quite often and the youngest son also Hugh (shug)has always been one of my best mates.
Those wimin were in the nip.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Just Joined? Please Introduce Yourself - the Frews

Post by floydian slip »

Morning Bonzo
When I saw your name on the forum I remembered that I knew a guy fro. The maze by that nickname.
I used to run around with Hamy " Steven" , Paul and the rest of the crew , I can remember sitting in Alex's garden now that you mentioned Ailsa drive , when Steven was suggesting nicknames for every one lol.
This was to be inaugurated into the " red hand gang " 🤣🤣 , I think he watched too many westerns.
I didn't know about Alex's stroke , hope he will be ok, he is a big gentleman.
I hadn't seen him around for months during lockdown except for a couple of times when he was doing a few bits and pieces with David S , the roofer.
I have many fond and sometimes raucous memories of running around the maze and the old dog track , which still had the caravan site next to it before it moved.
I think it might have been the Macanalies " spelling probably wrong lol.
Oh do you know wee Gerry Mcgoniglie ? A good pal of mine from Saltcoats who is into his scooters as well.
And a decent guitarist.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Hi again Bonzo
If memory serves was your name was John Bothswell?
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Naw, my name is Ian Burns. I know Gerry well, we were in the same scooter club, no seen him for ages. Next time you see him tell him big Ian is asking for him.
Those wimin were in the nip.
floydian slip
Settling In
Settling In

Post by floydian slip »

Will do Ian.
He lives in given nowadays and is doing OK, just treated himself to a les Paul and a strat.🎸🎸