Curling

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Curling

Post by little plum »

Just thinking about years ago when we had long spells of severe frost, and burst pipes in the thaw, it prompted me to carry out a site search for curlers, I found reference to the Eglington hotel with a sunken area that held water, presumably waiting for the frost ,but couldn't access the topic. The snippet of information included Kilwinning curlers flooding a field for this activity.
The rest of the results were about curlers for lasses hair. :lol:

Now I've had my fingers burned before, but this image is allegedly of Stevenston curlers. I must say, the backdrop of the gently sloping fields could well be Ashgrove Loch.
Anyone any idea of curling venues in the threetowns.
curlers.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Curling

Post by meekan »

LP
there was a curling rink across the Ardrossan Dalry Road from the Mill Farm, Just as you turned off Dalry Road heading to West Kilbride it was on the right hand side. It is now the location of some pefab houses.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

meekan, ( 16 or is it 14 my a--e) is that in the area of what was once a caravan site.?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

little plum wrote: I found reference to the Eglington hotel with a sunken area that held water, presumably waiting for the frost ,but couldn't access the topic. The snippet of information included Kilwinning curlers flooding a field for this activity.
Here's a direct link to that topic Neil. Looks like something needs synchronizing : http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 171#p89171
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

meekan wrote:LP
There was a curling rink across the Ardrossan Dalry Road from the Mill Farm, Just as you turned off Dalry Road heading to West Kilbride it was on the right hand side. It is now the location of some pefab houses.
Meekan, Little Plum

The curling rink was called Mill Pond and the site is shown in the photos below of Millglen Caravan Park in March 2006 before it was replaced by Millglen Lodges in 2007.

The following stories from old Ardrossan and Saltcoats Heralds confirm that there was a curling pond in Ardrossan.

ARDROSSAN CASTLE CURLING CLUB
The first game of the season in connection with this club was played on the Mill Pond on Saturday (18 December 1886) when four rinks competed with the following result: John Boyd 21, Robert Lochhart 14, J Caldwell 21, J McLean 28. On Monday (20 December 1886), two rinks of the same club met on the Mill Pond and played a game of 21 ends for meals to the poor. The ice was in splendid condition and after a well-contested game, the match ended in favour of Mr John Henderson's rink by a majority of four shots, the scores being: Mr John Henderson 17, Mr William Craig 13. It will be noticed that the Castle Club gained the silver cup and medal at the great bonspiel on Tuesday (21 December 1886). Mr A D Bryce-Douglas, honorary president, becomes the custodier of the cup.
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 24 December 1886

CURLING
Curling was indulged in here by a number of local players on the Mill Pond on Wednesday (11 March 1891) with great interest. The ice was in very good condition up till the afternoon when a slight thaw set in.
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 13 March 1891

ARDROSSAN CURLIANA
The annual new year game in which non-members, by paying a fee may take part and the object of which is to provide meal for the poor, was played under the auspices of the Ardrossan Castlehill Club on the Mill Pond on Monday (2 January 1893). The division was, as usual, the two portions of the town, north and south. The ice was in splendid condition and the weather all that could be desired. Play all over was very good and the game resulted as follows. North - R Carson 17, J Crawford 16, R J Brown 15, total 48. South - William Beck 18, William Craig 23, W Caldwell 22, a total of 63. The majority was 15 in favour of the south.
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 6 January 1893

George
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

Here's a couple of photos of curlers on the Mill Dam taken during the winter of 1962-63 - the last winter before we emigrated to N.Z. in May 1963.
CurlingonMillDam-2.jpg
In the above photo, that's Dad & I on the left of the group of curlers - we were just spectators
CurlingonMillDam.jpg
In the summer months, my maternal grandfather, Pop Kellie, sometimes went fishing on the Mill Dam as an alternative to the Busbie. I've a feeling that on the Mill Dam one could only use fly fishing whereas on the Busbie we usually used worms for bait - can anyone verify that ?

Bob
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Brilliant, Bob. Photos such as those will be treasured as the years roll on. :D
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Great to see those photos Bob.Over 100 years at least then the Mill Dam was used for curling.

Sweet Caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

Some great old photos.
Am I looking at the photo of the Mill corect, is that cars have been driven from boat house down towards the dam, don't remember ever seeing that being done?
I fished both Mill and Busby regularly up to mid 80s when moved away, you could fish worm and fly on both then, the season for the Mill started earlier in March the Busby opened in April remember that happening when I was young to give stocked fish a chance.Also fished the Whitlees and Parkhouse.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Fatastic photographs that has brought back great memories, I remember as a small boy going there with my mother and father to watch the curling , it inspired my mum to start curling , she played at the Ayr ice-rink for years after that , I will need to give it a go sometime myself .
wmh
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

George, thank you for posting the results of the curling competitions from A.+ S. It's a wee look into local community activities. I'm surprised there's no mention of " rinks" from the other 2 towns. When I was a wee lad my dad had a curling stone ( no handle) as a garden ornament. I suspect this was a remnant from earlier curling activities in Stevenston.

Bob, the 2 photos are magic, wouldn't it be great if your dad could put names to the curlers and spectators.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

We've recently seen elsewhere a photo of members of several members of the successful Ardrossan and Saltcoats Rotary Club curling team of 1974, winners of the Ayr Advertiser Cup that year.

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 96#p100496

Here's another one of the team I've just come across , from March 1972, when they won that trophy for the first time . I can see all the people from the other photo there: on the right are the two Messrs Reid, with Mr Thomas Mc Cully behind to their left; and Mr G Milne is the one at the left bearing the brush , with Donald MacPherson behind him.
Rotary curling team 1972.jpg

But there are several more people too in this picture ; does anyone recognise any of them ?

Susan
Last edited by down south on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.