Curling

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Curling

Post by abla43 »

Hi, LP, There was another curling rink as mentioned else where on 3T's. Ther is a small "plantation" between Ard. boling club and the footbridge taking you to the base of the castle mound. At the bowling club end there is a sunken area which has been tarredover since at least the 1940s which used to be a curling rink. When I was a kid we used to pretend it was a loch and run throughit waving our arms as though we were swimming. I sort of remember seeing another one on an old map years ago but it might be the Mill Pond as mentioned. Hope this helps. Cheers, A.B.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

A B

Here are a couple of photos of the area between the footbridge and Bowling Club which is in the distance behind the trees. The curling rink was at the right. The photos were taken walking towards Saltcoats.

George
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

George thanks for foties and sad to see the mess that comes from cooncil neglect. I'll have to draw it to their attention, even though I expect to be ignored. Cheers, A.B.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Alex, I had a stroll there a few years ago and posted this topic Such a nice area when we were growing up.
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hughie, Netta said you and Betty were on a cruise so hope you both enjoyed it. Don't know who owns the ground, but will try and find out. I hadn't been along there in umpteen years, so had no idea of the neglect. I seem to remember when we were boys vaguely wondering why it was perfectly level and smoothly tarred, but none of us ever trying to find out. I'm now wondering if it was ever usrd for roller skating. Any thoughts?. There certainly was a roller rink in Glencairn St, Saltcoats before our time, so it does make me wonder. Cheers, Alex.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Alex,
Had a lovely time cruising around the land of the long white cloud. :)
Can't recall anyone roller skating there at the curling rink. We did all our roller skating in the Academy playground. Mind you I was one of those had only the one skate. :roll: the other skate was for the back-end of my trace... another story for a 'We were so poor' topic.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Hughie wrote:Hi Alex,
Mind you I was one of those had only the one skate. :roll: the other skate was for the back-end of my trace... another story for a 'We were so poor' topic.
Snap! Wee Ali
abla43
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by abla43 »

Hughie, I was actually thinking of before our time and more of organised than casual skating, but I'm probably completely wrong. Maybe someone else can offer a better suggestion. By the way, I really liked the mega-smooth surface of Barr St, it was the bees knees. Eggy playground wasn't as good but not too shabby. As for my trace, me and wee Vinny Cunningham (Seamus's wee brother) never had any problem finding old abandoned prams. Our bit of the scheme had dumping areas. Cheers, Alex.