Wanted, Fish cake recipe.

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Wanted, Fish cake recipe.

Post by little plum »

My youngest son has been on the local river recently, more frequently than I can manage. When he told me he has been returning the Salmon that he caught, I was proud of his conservation efforts, but I wanted one to have another go at Fish pie. He kept a fish of 8- 9lbs which I filleted, with the extra fish I thought of fish cakes. I've googled for recipes, they all seem much the same, one that caught my eye was, Indian style, I might try this. What I'm looking for is a good old trusted recipe like granny used to make. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wanted, Fish cake recipe.

Post by morag »

My trusty S.W.R.I. has these two recipes.
Fish pie
!/2 lb fish cold, cooked,
a breakfastcupful of fine breadcrumbs ( :smt102 )
1 egg, alittle milk and seasoning to taste.
Flake fish finely, mix with breadcrumbs, beat egg with enough milk to soften the mixture. Put in a greased pie dish and cook till set (no temp given so I'd go350)

Fish cakes
equal quantities of cold mashed potatoes and cooked fish. Beaten egg to ut intobind. Mix all together, season and form into long sausage and cut off small cakes in slices. Toss in flour and fry in shallow fat or in egg and breadcrumbs and deep fry.
My son used our smoker to cook a salmon and it was delish. Mixed with cream cheese on a bagel..yum!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Morag, you are so sweet, I thought I would get a response from you. I hope you dont mind that I have forwarded your post to Bletchley Park, still waiting for it to be deciphered. :lol: :lol: :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Bletchley park? Whit dae ye no' unnerstaun? (Must say my pc is doing odd stuff these days..)
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote: Beaten egg to ut intobind.
Morag, Bletchley have sent me a bill for a new Enigma machine, fkn fish cakes. :roll: :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Into it to bind...my pc occasionally skips and posts into the middle of a sentence what was at the end...I used to make fishcakes and crabcakes but just, as usual, no fixed recipe, just random, that's how I do most of my cooking, my daughter does her share of eyerolling...'mum, what's the recipe for this?...me - oh just a bit of this and that..'Finally started writing down what I do for the things she really likes!
Come to think of it, my mum cooked the same way :roll: She made the best apple pies, the pastry so light, oh it's just a handful of flour a dab of...etc., :lol:
C.S.Lewis