Lofty Peak Recipes sought

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
kenbo01
New Poster
New Poster

Lofty Peak Recipes sought

Post by kenbo01 »

Hi,

My family and I have been desperately seeking a number of recipes from the old Lofty Peak Recipe book for a number of years now.

I fondly remember eating my father's Melting Moments and Rock Cakes, but the recipe book has since been lost.

None of the recipes I can find, even the Be-Ro ones seems to be quite the same.

I've seen a couple of people on this forum mention Lofty Peak a few times, so hopefully someone might be able to help.

All the best,

Ken
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Lofty Peak Recipes sought

Post by morag »

Hi Ken,
Here are the recipes.
Melting Moments.
5oz self raising flour (it specifies Lofty peak, don't know if it's still sold)
4oz margarine
2oz caster sugar
1 egg
vanilla essence
cornflakes
Moderate oven 360f
lightly grease 2 baking trays
sift flour, cream marg. sugar and vanilla. Add flour and mix until smooth
roll tspnfuls on the cornflakes, place on tray's leaving room for expansion.
flatten a little, bake middle oven approx. 20 mins.

Rock Buns.
8oz LP self raing flour
3oz Marg.
3oz caster sugar
2oz currents or sultanas
1 egg
2 1/2oz milk
1 level teaspoon mixed spice
1/2oz peel

Moderately hot oven, 425-450f.
Lightly grease 2 baking trays, sift flour and spices, cream marg and sugar, add the egg, then the flour, fruit and milk. Mix lightly to a fairly rough dough, don't overmix. Place on trace in small, rock like portions, using 2 forks to do this, again leaving room for expansion. Sprinkle lightly with caster sugar, bake near top of oven 10 -15 mins.

Still have my LP recipe book, held together with tape and more tape! :)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Lofty Peak
Coffee Buns

8 oz Self-Raising Flour
3 oz Block Margarine or Cooking Fat (I personally used butter)
3 oz Brown Sugar
1 Egg
Pinch of Salt
1 oz Currants (optional)
1 Dessertspoon Coffee Essence (Camp Coffee)
1 Tablespoon Milk

Heat oven to 200 degree C, 400 degree F or gas mark 6.

Sift flour. Cream fat, sugar, salt, egg and coffee essence. Add to flour and currants with the milk to form a stiff dough. Divide into twelve portions. Roll into balls and place on a baking tray (I use two trays and put six on each). Slightly flatten and brush over with egg and bake for 10 -15 minutes. Enjoy

Sweet Caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
kenbo01
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kenbo01 »

Hi Morag, Caroline,

Thank you so much for your responses.

Our Lofty Peak recipe book disintegrated decades ago and even the loose leaf valued recipes are now long gone.

My sister and father have already whipped up some batches of Melting Moments (reports below), and I'm keen to have a go myself shortly along with the Rock Cakes and Coffee Buns.

My Dad mentioned that the Melting Moments recipe doesn't indicate when the egg should be added. Is that the case in the original recipe? He's also come back to me asking if I can track down the Lofty Peak recipe for something called Sultana Farl?

Again thanks to you both.

Reports:

"I made a double batch...made them quite large about the size of rock cakes, cos tiny ones are pointless really! Oven about 170 - 180 fan forced, took approx 12 mins (my oven tends to cook things quickly). THEY WERE AWESOME!!"

"Doesn't say when to add the egg! I did it at the end, unfortunately I didn't have rolled oats so I used Oat Bran ... its not the same. 20 minutes in a fan-forced oven at 180c is too much. They are not bad but not as I remember. I suspect a time of 10-15m would have been enough."

"These recipes should go on the internet just like BeRo ... then we can all share and they will never get lost."

"Sultana Farl ... its sort of like a big sultana scone."

Cheers

Ken
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Melting Moments, you add the egg after creaming the butter and sugar, etc. sorry if I missed that.

Sultana Farl.
8 oz SR flour
1 1/2 oz cooking fat
1 oz sugar
5 oz (1/4 pint) milk
2oz sultanas
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt

400 degree oven.
cream fat and sugar, mix in egg, then stir in milk and salt. Add the flour, partially mix before adding sultanas. Mix lightly to a smooth dough. Turn out onto a floured board and make round. Place in a 7" diameter tin, cut into 4, bake for@25 mins, middle shelf.
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

As I remember, most recipes you cream the butter and sugar and then add the egg in portions, creaming it in so's it doesn't separate, then the flour, again in portions, mix add mix add..
I've got the Bero, the Lofty Peak and the Scottish Women's Rural Institute cookery books plus a strange one, the Gourmet cookbook, my mother in laws, which actually tells you how to cook bear meat..amongst other odd stuff, and I thought the SWRI recipes were out there!
Love to cook, unfortunately my gang has pretty much flown and I'm still trying to 'not cook for a crowd'!
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I've loads of cookbooks, recipes, seems to be a weakness. My faves are Thai and Indian.
C.S.Lewis
Jim McKenna
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Jim McKenna »

This book is out of print and currently unavailable. In the 1950s EVERYBODY'S mammy had a copy of this book.
I have copied it all, cover to cover in jpg photos. Just ask. It's all here. Jim
kintyre22
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kintyre22 »

Hi Jim

I have recently joined the forum am I am really delighted to read that you have lofty peak recipes. Would it be possible to have a copy of the soda scone recipe that used to be printed on the bag. My mother never used anything other than lofty peak for her baking and I wish I had kept her recipe book.

Thanks

Kintyre22
kintyre22
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kintyre22 »

Jim,

Thank you for getting in touch about the recipe. I am delighted to have found this site. I have been looking for the Lofty Peak recipe for a while.

Thank you

K22
agnescr
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by agnescr »

My two favourites are the sultana cake and the Madeira cake which I have been making for over 40 years,they have been a success every time //perfect

Sultana Cake

4oz SR flour
8oz plain flour
7oz butter or marge
1oz cooking fat/lard
pinch of salt
4 eggs
3tblsps milk
few drops vanilla essenceas4
12oz sultanas

Prepare a moderate oven 360f/180c/g
prepare and line a 7inch/8inch cake tin

Lining tin
Using tin as a guide cut double thickness greaseproof paper cutting slightly smaller than base of tin,next line inside tine with single layer brown paper 1 inch taller than tin.cut a double thickness greaseproof paper to fit round inside brown paper allowing an extra inch for folding over and snipped,so as to fit snugly inside brown paper,insert base lining paper,wrap double thickness brown paper round outside and tie with string

Cream fats,sugar,salt and essence until light and creamy
Add eggs in 4 to 5 portions creaming well after each addition
stir in milk lightly then fold in sieved flour and partly mix before adding fruit
Mix lightly but thoroughly until the batter is smooth and clear
place in lined tin,bake near centre of oven for approx 2 hours

Madeira Cake

tin should be lined as for sultana cake

3oz SR flour
9oz plain flour
8oz caster sugar
7oz butter/ marge
1oz lard/cooking fat
5 eggs

Cream fats sugar until light and creamy
add eggs in 4 to 5 portions creaming well after each addition
add sieved flour mix lightly but thoroughly until batter is smooth and clear
place mix in tin bake near middle of oven for 2 and a quarter hours
littlemon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by littlemon »

Hi Jim

I have recently found this forum and am delighted with the results of a couple of the recipes - even tracked down some Camp coffee for the coffee buns!!

I organise and bake every June in our local Gala, the money raised goes to my local branch of Contact the Elderly whom I drive for. Would it be possible to get a copy of the book in a zip file? I would love to do a Blast from the Past section this year.

many thanks

LittleMon :D