clootie dumplin

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
terrytk
New Poster
New Poster

clootie dumplin

Post by terrytk »

looking for a traditional recipe for "clootie dumplin" preferably an easy one.I remember my mum making it in a cloth which gave it a great skin,we used to fight over. Terrytk.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: clootie dumplin

Post by Meg »

Terrytk - already been posted a year or so back, have a look here
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

and not just siver threepences, but various wee charms were added,I remember a ring, the one who got that was supposedly to be married within the year! What other charms does anyone remember?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I remember little white china dolls,very tiny.
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Ah kept thinkin - that's no clootie dumplin - wheres the suet and golden syrup? My mother made a legendary clootie dumpling that in her final years was a compulsory bake for the Caledonian Society up at Moonta here in South Australia. But it always contained suet and golden syrup. BTW I used to hate it hot but loved a slice cut when it was cold. Mum would fry a slice for her breakfast. Anyway I googled and found what must have been something like her recipe on this site - http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/clootiedumpling.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Actually it looks like a great site for Scottish recipes - I have bookmarked it for future use. Alistair
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I think there was also a thimble?, Seems to me there were half a dozen charms, each with a significant meaning. Alistair, I made clootie dumplings years ago, without the charms, and had to ask the butcher (here in U.S.) for suet. It wasn't readily available. Also think treacle and golden syrup were part of the recipe. Remember you could buy it in slices at local (3T's) butchers. And yeah, the shiny 'skin' was the best!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis