Haggis Recipe

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Haggis Recipe

Post by Bob Bryden »

Can't remember where or when I got this. I've tasted Haggis several times at the local Burns Club - once at one of their annual Burn's Suppers & several times after a Burns Supper at the following Club Meeting where someone brought along very tasty savouries filled with left over Haggis. Don't know though whether they're made to the same recipe as below.
Bob :)
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Haggis Recipe

Post by Catherine Belle »

I've almost tasted haggis on several occasions, Bob.
I always chickened out at the last moment, though. :oops:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

Once you know what goes into making a haggis it can be a bit off-putting. Probably better not to think too much about it. We used to have a documentary series on T.V. here where a well known personality travelled round the country with each episode devoted to a particular part of New Zealand. One program focussed on Waipu (pronounced "y-poo") north of Auckland which was predominantly settled by Scottish immigrants & one item showed a woman making haggis & describing what went into it.

On another occasion over 20 years ago when I was living in Palmerston North (about 74km. east of where I am now in Wanganui (pronounced "wong-a-noo-i") they had a annual Scottish festival focussing on aspects of Scottish culture which was held in the square in the city centre. One item there was a haggis throwing contest - first though you had to eat a bit of haggis then drink a nip of whisky & then throw the haggis which was shaped like an overfilled rectangular envelope. I was never game to try it though. I usually filmed it until one day I very nearly got hit by a flying haggis :lol:

Bob
Last edited by Bob Bryden on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Bob Bryden wrote: .....One item there was a haggis throwing contest - first though you had to eat a bit of haggis then drink a nip of whisky & then throw the haggis .....

Now that's what I call a challenge! I can't chew gum and walk at the same time. :lol: :lol:
Bob wrote:I was never game to try it though. I usually filmed it until one day I very nearly got hit by a flying haggis :lol:
A flying haggis, eh?....who knew they had wings! :shock:

:wink: :D
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.