Home Made Ginger Wine

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Home Made Ginger Wine

Post by harrysteell »

Hi all, has anyone got any recipes for home made ginger wine,as I dont drink alcohol, I used to enjoy it at the new year, when I was young,as I remember it was very hot too taste, very nice too, regards Harry.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I loved ginger wine too, Harry. My granny used to buy ginger wine essence from the co-op and make it with that. Maybe you can still get the essence. If not, here's an old recipe for ginger wine (I've never tried it so no guarantees):

1 gallon water
3 lb. loaf sugar
2 oz. root ginger
4 oz. raisins
Juice and finely grated rind of 2 lemons (organic ones these days)
1/2 oz. yeast

Chop up the raisins, bruise the ginger with a hammer, put into a pan with water, sugar, lemon juice and rind. Boil for one hour, skimming frequently. Pour into a crock or tub, allow to stand until lukewarm, then stir in the yeast, crumbled up. Cover, stir every day for a fortnight, then strain and bottle. Best after three or four months.

:wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

hahaya2004 wrote:I loved ginger wine too, Harry. My granny used to buy ginger wine essence from the co-op and make it with that.
That's the stuff I remember Irene. On our first trip back we bought a couple of wee bottles of the Ginger Wine essence from the Co-op to bring back to Oz. That was back on 1978 but unfortunately they got busted in flight - made an awful mess inside the suitcase. :cry:
mckay47
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

ginger wine

Post by mckay47 »

"Yu-lade" concentrate was the name of that ginger wine. It was made by Clan Quality Foods in Glasgow. Don't know if they are still in business though. I have a old bottle that I just can't get rid off, it cost 13p a bottle. My mother used to mellow it down some with a wee taste of the blackberry flavour. I think you could also buy it in some chemists....long time ago, and it's hard to remember. New years eve, ginger wine, and shortbread, and everyone had to do thier "party piece"......great memories.
Betty
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Well, Betty, it's still called Yu-lade....and you can still get it, along with a lot of other goodies, it seems.

http://www.expatshopping.coop/index.php ... cts_id=904

The cost of shipping is a bit high, though I suppose if you order enough goodies it might be worth it.
:D :D
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Home Made Ginger Wine

Post by harrysteell »

Hi Irene, thanks for your recipe, it sounds great, I can taste it now, Hughie was that the c-o-op on the corner of whitlees crecent you had yours from, I have tried all the shops around Burton, but no luck, just heard today from a friend of mine he says their is an Indian grocery shop in Birmingham, has the small bottles, for making it up, thanks for all the help, regards Harry.
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Home Made Ginger Wine

Post by unicornheart »

sorry harry great minds think alike haha, i was making ginger wine to-nite and posted it on site before i looked here, oooops