Ayrshire Bacon Dumplings

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ayrshire Bacon Dumplings

Post by Catherine Belle »

729. AYRSHIRE BACON DUMPLINGS

6 oz self raising flour
Salt and Pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
3 oz shredded suet
3 oz smoked bacon rashers, finely chopped

In a bowl, mix the flour and seasoning. Add the mixed herbs and parsley and mix well. Rub in the suet, adding just enough water to make a firm but pliable dough. Shape into approx. 12 balls. Make a small indentation into each ball with your thumb and push in a little chopped bacon.

Dampen the edges, pinch together (sealing the bacon inside) and re-roll the ball. The finished dumplings should then be boiled in a saucepan for approx. 45-50 minutes. They should then be added almost at the end of cooking time for the dish to which it is being added.

Another alternative would be to add it to the stew, soup etc approx 45-50 minutes before the end of the cooking time for that dish.
more recipes here
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Hi Catherine
My Mum used to make doughalls but I never asked how. In your Bacon doughball recipe, if I left herbs & bacon out would that just be the same ingredients used for plain doughballs?

Regards Anne
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Hi Anne :D

That isn't my doughball recipe. It arrived by email via my "Ayrshire Google Alerts". :wink:
I do think that if you left out the herbs and bacon bits and just used flour, suet/lard, salt and pepper and water, you'd get a close proximation of what oor mammies made. :D
Having said that, I have to admit that whenever I make stew with "dumplings" I take a roll of Pillsbury ready made biscuits/dinner-rolls....(you know the kind that you hit on the edge of a counter and the tube bursts open and unravels 8 perfectly formed wee circles of dough) Well, twenty minutes before it's done, I just place them in a circle on top of the bubbling stew, cover and simmer for twenty minutes, and voila, fluffy dumplings done to a turn!

(If my granny could read this, she'd be turning in her grave) :oops:

Cheers, Anne, Catherine
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Thanks Catherine
Will give the first bit a try, probably buggar up the mince next week LOL
Here in South Africa we have not advanced far enough re: Pilsbury bread rolls, still just the Muffin & Cake mixes. I think I can hear your Granny rolling around!!

regards Anne
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Here's a dumpling recipe out of my old Dundee Homecraft Book (which I still use):
1/4 pound flour
1/2 teasp. baking powder
2 oz. suet
salt & pepper
cold water

Mix dry ingredients. Chop suet & add. Mix to elastic dough. Shape into balls & drop into pan or stew 30 minutes before serving.

Irene :wink:
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

Thanks Irene, will give it a try and let you know how I get on, as if it was a cordon bleau meal ha! ha!

Anne
Phyl.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ayrshire Bacon Dumplings

Post by Phyl. »

Probably a silly question :oops: but is there anything can be used instead of suet? Nobody I know has ever used suet to cook with but I do see recipes I would like to try but using the suet. I was thinking something without cholesterol
nah couldnt use olive oil could you? or even margarine? has to be suet does it?
Phyl. the dill.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Phyl. wrote:Probably a silly question :oops: but is there anything can be used instead of suet? Nobody I know has ever used suet to cook with but I do see recipes I would like to try but using the suet. I was thinking something without cholesterol
nah couldnt use olive oil could you? or even margarine? has to be suet does it?
Phyl. the dill.

Phyl. I usually just add some butter or marg. I can't say how much cause I only ever make
About 1 cupful of flour and a knob of butter, etc etc. Always works for me Sarah
Phyl.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Phyl. »

Thank ya kindly for that Sarah. I will make them then as they sound delic.
I will also try sweet ones with apple and blueberries etc.
Life is just SO exciting - something new to learn every day.
Phyl.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Phyl. wrote:Thank ya kindly for that Sarah. I will make them then as they sound delic.
I will also try sweet ones with apple and blueberries etc.
Life is just SO exciting - something new to learn every day.
Phyl.

Sorry Phyl, getting a bit confused in my old age, that recipe I make is dough balls
I don't usually put bacon in them just a little herbs, they rise nicely on top of the mince.
Sarah