Champion Cloutie Dumpling - the real thing

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Champion Cloutie Dumpling - the real thing

Post by Mac »

Champion dumpling recipe from Mrs Jay Baird, Howgate, near Penicuik

Ingredients — 6oz self raising flour, 6oz brown breadcrumbs, 8 oz suet, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, I teaspoon ginger, 4 oz currents, 6 oz. sultanas, 4 oz. soft dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons syrup approx. 1½ cups milk [or Milk Stout].

Method — Place your clout in boiling water. Mix all the ingredients together with the milk to make a fairly soft consistency. Make sure everything is mixed well.

Take the cloot out of the water and wring and they lay it out flat and dredge well with flour. Smooth the flour over the cloot with your hands to get an even spread.

Place the mixture on the cloot, draw it together evenly, leaving room for expansion, and tie the cloot with string.

Put a plate in the bottom of the pot and the cloot and mixture on top of that. Use a large pot, big enough to allow covering the cloot with water. That way there will be no need to top up through the cooking.

Simmer the dumpling for two to three hours. Remove from the pot and put it in a colander in the sink.

Untie the string and gently pull the corners of the cloot apart.

Put a plate over the dumpling in the colander and whip it over.

Carefully peel the cloot away from one corner and you should have a dumpling to match our champion’s.... Image

(Mrs Baird doesn't believe in drying off a dumpling, she reckons that makes it hard.)
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Mac wur you a chef in the navy :?:

:mrgreen:
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

elvis1913 wrote:Mac wur you a chef in the navy :?:

:mrgreen:
No I wisnae but I'll relate a wee story if I may.

When I first joined (age 17 3/4!) I had some time to wait before starting my professional course (paramedic). The navy don't like to see anyone 'kicking their heels' so they sent me on a submarine (S/M). Now at that time they didn't have 'doc's' on S/Ms (that came later with nuclear boats). So they said, "what can you do?" "Can you cook?" Well I make a great french toast so naturally I said "Yes".

Fine then, your the chef!. Well, the first night at sea I had to cook dinner for 63 men (days before sexual equality you know?). In short, it was to be some sort of meat, tatites and PEAS!!!. I checked out the stores and came across a fairly small (in my opinion) tin marked "Peas, sailors for the feeding of - portions 50!" (Yes! they really write like that). Well looking at the size of the tin I thought this must be a printing error. Not enough in this tin to feed 5 let alone 50!. So without further ado I opened 12 tins! Poured them into a fanny (for those that speak scottish thats a big pot, and for you cobbers its a big billy can!).

THEY WERE DEHYDRATED. The label was right! I was so busy spooning the swelling peas into all the fanny's (sic) I could find that I had no time to cook the meat nor the tatties!

Needless to say I was fired as the chef! But from that day to this I have taken a healthy interest in cooking Image

(Still can't abide peas mind!) :lol:
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

(Still can't abide peas mind!) :lol:
Priceless

atsa 10 ana hauf.