Scones

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Scones

Post by glenshena »

Can anybody give me a recipe for oven scones. My recipe uses Cream of Tartar which I dont have.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scones

Post by hahaya2004 »

You could try this one, Glenshena:
1 1/2 oz margarine or butter
8 oz S.R. flour
2tsp. baking powder
1 oz caster sugar
1/4 pt. milk
1/2 tsp. salt

Put all dry ingredients in a bowl & rub in the margarine or butter until the dough resembles breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre & add milk. Mix to a soft, light but not sticky dough. Roll out 1/2" thick & cut into rounds. Bake at 425°F/220°C on the top shelf for about 10 minutes. (From A Cookbook for the Millenium, St. Cuthbert's Saltcoats).

If you don't have S.R. flour, it's easy to make:
Add 2 tsp. of baking powder for each 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl before using, to make sure the baking powder is thoroughly distributed. If you are baking with cocoa, yogurt or buttermilk then add 1/4 tsp. baking soda as well as the baking powder as generally these ingredients need a little extra leavening boost. (From Nigella Lawson).
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Thanks Hahaya.. I'll give it a try. Yes we don't have self raising flower, and neither baking soda. I've tried two recipes but no luck so far.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just made these - and they were lovely. Thanks for the recipe Irene - how did yours go Jean?

Meg
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yes Meg this is the best recipe. Come out perfect everytime, even though my ingredients are not the same measures as GB. We dont have pints either but Its near enough to a quarter litre of milk. Everyone enjoys them.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Need to add mixed fruit next time for George. The only other thing I added was a teaspoon of vanilla essence - only because I had it :wink:

Meg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just tried these - they’re really quite good and easy.

Lemonade Scones

400 g (14oz) self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
175 ml (6 fl oz) double cream
175 ml (6 fl oz) lemonade

Directions
Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan) mark 7. In a large bowl mix all ingredients to make a dough. Knead briefly, then tip onto a floured surface and use your hands to press to a 2cm (3/4in) thickness.

Line a baking tray with parchment. Stamp out rounds and place on tray. Bake for 12-15min until golden. Cool on a wire rack.