~Leek and Potato Soup~

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

~Leek and Potato Soup~

Post by JustNancy »

Ingredients
3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
2 (white & light green parts only) leeks, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper or pepper
3 large yellow fleshed or baking potatoes, peeled & chopped
6 cups (750 mL) chicken stock
2 thick slices smoked bacon
1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tbsp (30 mL) diced green onions or chives

Preparation
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute leeks, celery, carrot, salt, thyme and pepper until softened, about 8 minutes.

Add potatoes, stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in skillet, fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels then crumble.

In batches in blender, puree soup until smooth; strain into clean pot and reheat gently. Sprinkle each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions or Chives.

Tips
Use oblong baking potatoes or yellow-fleshed potatoes for the best texture. Round, waxy potatoes make the soup gluey.

Be sure to wash leeks well - they often have sand hidden between the layers. Cut the leek in half lengthwise and rinse well, separately layers and rubbing out any grit, shake dry then slice.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: ~Leek and Potato Soup~

Post by bobnetau »

I will try this as
Leek and potato soup is a favourite of mine.
JustNancy
Settling In
Settling In

Post by JustNancy »

Thanks bobneteau, let me us know how it is.
I also cook a couple of diced potatoes separately and add them back to the soup after I have pureed it.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

JustNancy wrote:I also cook a couple of diced potatoes separately and add them back to the soup after I have pureed it.
When I make this soup I remove some of the vegetables before blitzing with the hand held blender, I like a creamy Leek and Potato soup and my better half likes it chunky, it's a compromise.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons