Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup

Post by Hughie »

Made this lovely soup in our men's kitchen during the week. Magnificent! My wife agreed, so I made it over the weekend. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

Richard

Re: Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup

Post by Richard »

Hughie,
I like my soups, especially a big mug of home-made Scotch Broth (or similar) on miserable winter days.
We like making our own soups and might give this a try but I was going to ask a question and think you may have
already given me the answer.
About a year or so ago i was given an electric hand blender as a gift. Up until then the soups i made were pretty
much wholesome/rustic (for want of a better description) and good, honest, tasty stuff but had too much of a watery hint to them, (note I said watery hint and not meaning the soup was watery).
Since i started using the blender and blitzing all the soup (to take care of the watery-ness and to help with storage) the first bowls straight from the pot are delicious but any future bowls made from the frozen stored surplus, always seems to be like glue - you could almost stand your spoon in it (bit of exaggeration but you get the picture), the flavour also seems to have altered into something with a bitter tinge to it.
Couldn't understand what i'd been doing wrong because the only difference from previously was that i was now using a blender and blitzing the full pot.
I wonder if that's were i'm going wrong and if i should only be blitzing about a third to a half?
:?
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

What can you use instead of coriander Hughie, hate it makes me feel {crook}..
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just leave it out, Sarah, it's only a garnish. Or have a look at the following from:
wikihow ... http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Garnishes-for-Soups

Use herbs. This is one of the simplest ways to garnish a soup, yet it looks fabulous and it adds an extra element of taste. For example:

Use chopped parsley on tomato, vegetable, creamy and seafood style soups.
Use snipped chives on many different types of soups. Remember that this will add an onion flavor, so be sure it will enhance the soup.
Sprinkle a bit of chopped dill over creamy or seafood soups. Dill is a very strong taste, and it's not to everyone's liking, so be sparing with it.
Add some hand-ripped mint to fresh soups and Asian-inspired soups. The refreshing taste of mint will give the soup quite a lift.
Fresh sprigs of coriander/cilantro go well with Asian/Central and South American style soups. Coriander has quite a strong taste when it's fresh, so check that it's to everyone's liking.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Richard wrote:I wonder if that's were i'm going wrong and if i should only be blitzing about a third to a half?
:?
I've got into the habit of blending just about a third of any soup I make and then adding it back to the rest - I think it enhances the look and the taste. :)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Mens Kitchen , What a great idea, somebody in my area could make a few bucks by starting it up, Cookery schools are available in certain places although it's open to both sexes and costs a fortune.I should think a Wednesday night or a Saturday afternoon would appeal to some guys who are not stupid enough to pay vast inflated prices to watch a football match. If only i could cook a brain and money to start :roll:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Brian, our neighbourhood house incorporates a commercial kitchen - different groups use it throughout the week. Cost of being a member of the neighbourhood house is $5 a year and $2 per attendance, we also pay about $15 for the ingredients each week - we decide what to cook for the coming week and we take turns at doing the shopping and washing the aprons. taking the aprons home for our wives to wash. :wink:

We get to sit down and have a meal we've cooked along with a glass of wine. At the end of the meal, one of our older members reads some jokes from books he's bought at church fetes - some are a wee bit rude. The two lovely ladies who volunteer to help supervise the cooking, enjoy that part as much as we do. :lol:

We also get to take two dishes home with us, which is normally enough for two nights meals for the wife and I.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Netta's Bobby and I made this again in the men's kitchen on Wednesday and it was lovely - sweet potato has become very popular. For the weekend I'm making another favourite, chicken and vegetable soup - it's here: http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 360#p83360 the cooler weather is approaching down under. :|
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Now the colder weather is here, I made this lovely soup today, so the old dear can have a restful week-end - it really is a favourite.

Bought a couple of lamb shanks for through the week to cook in the slow cooker - no doubt she'll supervise and I hope does the mashed tatties and vegetables. Got them at the local butchers for $1.99 each. Purchasing is rounded off here in Oz to the nearest five cents. $1.99 = $2.00.
:smt102
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie wrote:Now the colder weather is here, I made this lovely soup today, so the old dear can have a restful week-end - it really is a favourite.

Bought a couple of lamb shanks for through the week to cook in the slow cooker - no doubt she'll supervise and I hope does the mashed tatties and vegetables. Got them at the local butchers for $1.99 each. Purchasing is rounded off here in Oz to the nearest five cents. $1.99 = $2.00.
:smt102
Hughie, I have never cooked Lamb Shanks before, Maybe it,s because i still have not bought a Tangine.
Spare Betty from the cooking of the Veg our senior member J.D. makes the best Mash in the World, so consider inviting him down under. :wink: :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: our senior member J.D. makes the best Mash in the World, so consider inviting him down under. :wink: :lol:
Actually you are not far wrong Brian - JD makes a mean Stampot - a Dutch delicacy which I think translates as Mash pot. A real plate of comfort food - fancy giving us Ria's recipe JD?

Yum
xxx
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Butter beans, my granny was a great fan of butter beans which she would soak overnight. However to-day I don't think they are so popular. I sometimes buy them in a tin but they don't taste the same