Scottish Recipes by Johanna Mathie

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Scottish Recipes by Johanna Mathie

Post by Meg »

Richard, just a thought, but what are the copyright rules for this paricular publication? I am concerned we might be breeching them. Also your posts would be much more enjoyable if you added your comments on how the recipes turned out for you - I know i scribble over my recipe books with changes I made, details of how it turned out and what my family thought when they ate it.

Meg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Meg,
(Re - Your concerns on copyright laws).

As far as I am aware I am not breeching copyright laws ?
Your concerns urged me to try and look into it more but as with anything to do with the law -
there are a lot of grey areas and/or conflicting rules/laws etc, to much for me to be bothered with.
However, whilst looking into this I did come across a couple of interesting - and easy to read - articles
on the subject of "recipe copyright".
Can you copyright a dish?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... nddrink.uk

This 2nd article is, for me, far more important.
It raises a very good point which has never crossed my mind before and I will reproduce that part (below),
should the link ever go dead.
Johanna Mathie is a favourite of mine - I have several of her books - and all I was seeking to do was to
share her ideas with others. But from the following article I have learned that I could be doing her more
harm than good ? It is for this reason that I will not be posting further recipes onto this thread.
However, with this in mind and your tip on how to make it "more enjoyable", I have another idea which will
keep for another day. The following is quoted directly from the link below:
"Chefs and food writers need to sell books, if they are going to keep doing what they do.
And those books are copyright. I know there's a grey area around paraphrasing recipes, and
whether that avoids the copyright issue, but the fact remains that recipes given away do not
help to sell books - who would buy a book, when the contents can be found free online?"

Publishing of copyrighted recipes:
http://chefeye.wordpress.com/2012/02/04 ... d-recipes/

BTW Meg:
I would never dream of scribbling over the pages of a book.
I would have thought that you, of all people, both a teacher and avid reader, would be well aware of how
severe a sin such an act would be?
:)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Richard wrote:
BTW Meg:
I would never dream of scribbling over the pages of a book.
I would have thought that you, of all people, both a teacher and avid reader, would be well aware of how
severe a sin such an act would be?
:)
Oh Richard, annotating recipe books is one of the most important things we can do. I have a copy of my grandmother's cookery book, with her notes and ideas and although she was dead some 30 years before I was born, I know her thoughts on what marmalade sets well, and what she added to strawberries to make a good set for jam and how to hang a brace of pheasants (she was in service when she was younger). I LOVE buying cookery books in a second hand shop where the previous owner has recorded success and failure, and handwritten changes to make the failure into a success!

Even when I was at uni and bought second hand academic books, I liked the fact that someone else had done all the hard work and outlined the important passages for me.

Meg