True 'ONE POT' Ideas.

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Richard

True 'ONE POT' Ideas.

Post by Richard »

I am looking for ideas and inspiration.
I have been trying to find, create and gather TRUE One Pot recipes.
My target is 7...one for each day of the week.
Sounds easy but it's not that simple. Once you get past Chicken casserole, Beef stew, Home made soup and
Roast Chicken with all the trimmings, It starts to get difficult! You can find plenty variations of the aforementioned but I'm looking for something "different" and there are rules to strictly stick to.
It can only be completely prepared and cooked using the ONE pot, pan, tray, chasseur/dutch oven or slow
cooker. No Woks. The only acception to the one pot rule is; If something needs to be marinaded, that's o.k.
I have several books on the subject but the trouble is, the vast majority are NOT True One Pot meals.
They nearly always involve another cooking vessel, at some stage of the process.
Even if it's just to cook rice or some other addition to the meal. If It ALL can't be done in the same vessel
then it is not allowed.
ALL Ideas & Inspiration most very welcome, please. :? :? :? :? :? :?
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: True 'ONE POT' Ideas.

Post by little plum »

Richard, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned " stovies" a true one pot meal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Fecks sake Richard, just throw everything ye want tae eat intae the pan an' sit back!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote:Fecks sake Richard, just throw everything ye want tae eat intae the pan an' sit back!
Awa' ya eejit, hows the weans gonny get a weel balanced diet wi' that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Richard

Post by Richard »

Done that one several times LP, just another version of stew ?
I got the recipe from one of five wee books, on Traditional Scottish Recipes, that my daughter brought me
back from Aberfoil a couple of years ago.
No thank's Morag, tried that a couple of times already, not to be repeated. :oops:
First time I nearly burnt the erse oot the pot and the second time, even the cat turned it's nose up at it and
then disappeared for a week before coming back hame.
So I'll give that idea a miss thank you very much. :)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Ach weel I guess I'm jist a culinary genius,.. nae turndoons so far, and fine braw bairns tae prove the puddin'!
C.S.Lewis
Mac
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Mac »

How about paella? (Either sea food on its own or including chicken and chorizo mmmmm!)

Or Fish with olives and tomato:

[Preheat the oven to fan 180C/conventional 200C/gas 6. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil from the olives in an ovenproof pan. Tip in finely chopped onion and stir well, leave to cook for a minute or two and then give it another good stir. Add a can of chopped tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then add the olives.
Put the fish, skin side down, onto the sauce and drizzle over a splash more oil from the olive jar. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes until the fish is cooked. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve straight from the pan, with lemon wedges for squeezing over.}
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

My go to pan is called a turbo cooker. You can cook from frozen. It's designed for cooking foods evenly and though I've never done it, several courses at once. Now it's lost most of the non stick surface but I still love it! Good work chef Randall!
C.S.Lewis
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mac: Liked the Paella idea but apart from one or two types of fish, the wife will not touch any other kind of
seafood. I know, don't even ask :?
The fish, olives & tomatoes sounds good but not substantial enough for a main meal.
I really like this idea though and I think it will work very well as a lunch, with a glass or two of cold cider and
white wine for miss fussy. Now I need another 6 one pot lunch ideas. Don't know whether to praise or curse you.
:D Thank's Mac.

Morag: Strange how we all tend to have certain pots or whatever that we cant do without.
One of mines is my heavy based, non-stick, frying pan. Well It was non-stick until my youngest son got his mits
on it. He was visiting us whilst on some leave and making himself a bite to eat.
I walked into the kitchen and there he was, proud as punch, making himself a lovely omelette in my pan with a
feckin dirty METAL fork in his hand. The little darling . Still, I would not part with it. The son on the other hand,
well, enough said. :lol:
Can always remember my grandmother having a pot that we all called her porridge pot, nothing else was ever
cooked in it. Best porridge I've ever tasted. Wonder where that went to ?????
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Fussy eaters are a challenge, My daughter and one son's partner are vegetarian, another son's wife doesn't eat pork, it fair makes family meals difficult! But, assuming ham's ok, here's a one pot meal ideal for lunch.
Ham and egg combo.
Sauce:
1/4 cup flour
!/2 cup mayonnaise
2 cups milk
pinch S&P
(blend to smooth consistency if needed)
Add 1 1/2 cups cubed ham, 1 chopped onion 5-6 slices of American cheese (yes, that pretend cheese stuff), a jar of pimiento and about 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped in quarters. Serve over toasted English muffins, crumpets..even just toast.
C.S.Lewis
Richard

Post by Richard »

Morag: You had me right up until you mentioned "American Cheese".
Is that the same cr@p that they throw onto burgers at well known burger joints ?
I call it plastic cheese and "am fe#*ed if am using that. It's got a "shine" to it and tastes like bland mush.
I like the idea though and will give it a try with a proper cheese, calories be damned, a mature cheddar seems
as if It will do the trick ?
When you say "cup", what cup size are you referring to ?
I noticed someone did a very good "conversion chart" somewhere else on this forum.
Will need to try and find it again and copy it down or try printing it off.
I had a good book with all those conversions in it but it must have got bored sitting in the kitchen all the time
and decided to "go a walk" ?
Thank's Morag. :D
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I've found measures are forgiving for the most part.. I think a cup here is 8 oz, made millionaire shortbread for years before realising a can of condensed milk is maybe a 1/3rd of the size here! lol! But yes, that pretendy cheese, believe it or not it's good in this recipe, especially the deluxe one. I'm not sure how real cheese will work.
C.S.Lewis